Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Squeal when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Squeal when accelerating

This noise does not seem to happen right away, but once the car is fully warmed up it ends up being almost every time I punch the gas. If I go to pass someone or accelerate from a light and get the rpm's to 4500+ I hear what sounds like a belt squeal. It's not continuous more like a belt slipping. According to the service record I got when purchasing the car the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, and waterpump were changed at 96k. It's got 110k on it now so I don't think it would be the timing belt. I know they are supposed to change the serpentine the same time they do the timing belt but the receipt doesn't say serpentine on it anywhere, just "timing belt kit". The other thing I could think of was idler puller. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in this matter so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

well it looks to only happen on a downshift, and only after the car has warmed up. What I am thinking is one of the belts gets warm, expands and then starts to slip a bit. I'm thinking that tightening it up should fix this but I could be mistaken. Anyone have input on this? Would this be timing belt or serpentine?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

This is not a belt squealing it is your transmission. There is a TSB on transmission "hoot" in our cars. You need to change and flush your tranny fluid. There's a bunch of good information available online on how to get it accomplished.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Yes! thank you bcvikers, I am very appreciative of the help. So I looked into the tsb and while I'm fine with doing this change I am just wondering if this is something that is immediate, as in I should not be driving it? Or is it more of an optional thing and is not doing any real damage? Audi's states to never change the trans fluid except for this bulletin. I have also read stories of people having this problem for over 60,000 miles and never changing the fluid. I have also read horror stories that doing a first time trans fluid change on a high mileage car is a gamble and can cause serious damage. This is my concern, if it doesn't damage the vehicle why risk ruining the whole transmission? sorry for the noobie questions, I'm still young in the mechanic world

Last edited by NickConlon; 07-25-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

My car is having this problem as well that's why I happened to know what you were describing and the subsequent tsb. I don't know what sort of damage, if any, we're doing by continuing to drive with the squeak, hoot, or squeal but mine is still on the road and it is scheduled for a fluid change next week. I've often heard of it being a gamble to change it with higher mileage but I've also read of many successful changes over 100k with our cars so I'm going to take my chances. I don't think it's really an option to keep driving it indefinitely with the noise.

Oh and I'm also going out on a limb and switching to the Redline oil that they claim exceeds the Lifeguard 6+ spec. It runs around $10/quart cheaper as well and Redline is well known for their performance fluids. Wish me luck!

Last edited by bcvickers; 07-26-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

I did read that if high mileage vehicles are doing their first trans fluid change they should also replace the filter at the same time. The new fluid acts as a detergent and will clean off loose particles in the transmission which clogs the filters, this is why transmissions fail after getting the fluid changed. They also recommend if possible to change the filter again 2 weeks later just so there is a fresh one in without all that gunk. Let me know how the redline works, I'm looking at the kit from blauparts.com that is supposed to be extremely good as well. Best of luck! hope to hear back with the results!