Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeal for me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default Squeal for me...

So my 3.0 has a bearing squeal coming and going from the front of the engine
sound like just below the power steering pump.

don't have any coolant leaks but might be small
I'm guessing it's the water pump

with all of the rollers and idlers in the same place it's impossible to tell which one. I guess I'll replace it all again too much work for diagnosing one part.

only 32k since I replaced it all.

I think I'll look for an oem water pump this time!

anyone have any suggestions on a waterpump
I found a geba, graf, and bosch on line they have metal impellers doesn't say where they are made. I'm not sure I favor metal over high performance plastic (for the bearing sake) I would really just like to make sure my bearings are not made in china.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

I think 2001+ should all be plastic impellers. I know for sure my stock impeller was plastic, i got a 2001 A6 2.7T.
You should watch the blauparts video about the impellers and find out if your stock impeller is plastic or metal, and stick with what the designers figured out for your engine.
definitely get OEM, i just put a blauparts water pump in, but seriously am going OEM next time.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM
2nd Gear

Usually when there is a squeal coming from the front of the engine, it is the serpentine belt that is worn out or dirty. I have never heard of a water pump that would squeal.. try spraying a little bit of silicone under the belt and see if the squeal goes away.. It also might be the serpentine belt tensioner. Does the squeal sound kinda like this? Audi A4 B6 GT3076R first start 3 - YouTube

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for that Tourbo24 but not that kind of squeal. It's a bearing squeal, you know when the race drags the ***** around instead of rolling them. sort of a garbled squeal.

I just figure the waterpump is most likely to do it because of the water behind
it. it could be any of them though I haven't taken it apart and checked each one.

The thing is if I'm going in there I should just spend 6 bills and replace it all
It is early but...

I wonder how much an Audi waterpump costs?

Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

I bought my car around 4 months ago with the last owner saying that the timing belt was replaced around 2k miles ago. They didn't replace the thermostat and it got stuck closed. I just re did my whole timing belt job just to be sure everything is brand new and there weren't any steps skipped like with the thermostat. I got my kit at Volvo Parts, BMW Parts, European Car Parts | FCPGroton.com it was recommended to me because it is a great kit. I would go for the updated water pump with the metal impalers, thats what came in that kit. Good luck