Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Starter no longer engages in cold weather (20 degrees)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Starter no longer engages in cold weather (20 degrees)

Help! I have a 2005 A8L with 4.2 that I bought used this summer with 92,000 miles. Even when the weather was warm, I noticed a couple seconds or so delay from turning the key and then waiting for the starter to finally do its thing and engage. Once the starter FINALLY engages, the engine fires right up. But, lately, as the weather has been turning colder and colder, that starter delay has been getting longer and longer -- and took several tries the last couple of days before engaging and turning over the engine . . . until, today, with a temp of around 20 degrees, THE STARTER DOES NOT ENGAGE AT ALL! AAARRRGH! All I hear is an electronic-type ticking sound for 8 seconds after turning the key to start position, and then silence I'm dead in the water. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What could it be? BTW: MMI system battery check indicates 100 percent charged, but still no starter engagement.