Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. that price is an arm and a leg. i have to check with my local dealer and see if they have it in stock. Question where you able to put it in yourself, and did you take pics of the work?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

The dealer price is somewhere around $1800 plus tax? I got it from genuine audi parts. for the price mentioned. Did you hot wire the pump to check that it has actually failed?

Once you have the front wheel off and the inner wheel liner out (on the wheel liner the plastic pop rivets might break if they are old).

It's only three bolts holding the pump in place on rubber spring mounts for reduced vibration I guess.

Only one bolt is hard to get to to but it is possible. A couple of hours if you don't know the layout. Remember the wiring paths one loops over the top of the pump to the front. There are electrical connectors on the back of the pump.

Audi will also sell you a new relay with the pump extra $30 which is under the driver side if you have North American car.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. Actually, going this morning to the mechanic to check out the issue, Should be an interesting morning. Am really hoping that the pump is good and that they can check the connection.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

I know Im bumping an old thread but Im stuck on a problem car.

I bought a 2005 A8L from a dealer that took it on trade last week. The front is layed out and the rear seemed like normal ride height - I assumed it was the struts because Ive had VW Phaetons come in with the same symptoms that were fixed with replacing the struts.

I replaced the struts and its still suck on the ground. rear is fine.
Checked compressor and it opps okay. pulled it and checked output pressure.. seemed okay.. but I ordered a compressor anyway from Audi. Installed new compressor and it's still the same. What's left? why is it only the fronts.. I thought it could be a leak but both sides? Im lost

Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

I suppose the control unit which is housed in the driver side wheel arch? The height sensors both look good ?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grease
I suppose the control unit which is housed in the driver side wheel arch? The height sensors both look good ?
Actually dug pretty deep and found the green line (passenger front) had a 6 inch section missing in driver wheel well near control valve... All fixed now

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to ask do you mean the air line is missing

Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

Nope I did not change the air line, it would be very strange if a whole section of air line is "missing", probably someone on that car took it off and never put it back?

The line can have a crack in it, but it would be rare. It's extremely hard plastic.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Similar problem as Grease - but rear

Bump of this thread from Sweden,

my Audi A8L from 2007 is experiencing air suspension problems - the rear. From is still up in what I would call Dynamic Mode. Front seems to be "stable" - or at least lowering very slowly (nothing just by eyeballing for the last 4 days).

So, error codes are DTC 01538, 01400, 01772, 01772, 01770, where "only" the first one is Permanent, the rest intermittent.

I do not dare to translate the fault codes from Swedish to English.

User Grease, do you suspect my compressor too? There are "cheap" deals on German Ebay, so with relay and new compressor I consider myself to be taking a good route to success (?) - if that fails I'll go buy new rear suspensions (?!).

The error code suggests leakage, but that is also what you had, Grease!

As said, one can take a lot of chances and still get a _complete_ new air suspension system (comp+4*dampers) for less than the price of one compressor from Audi / OEM.

Should I assume I have the very same problem as You, Grease, and take a chance?

cheers, from a sunny Sweden
Carl

Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by groggyfroggy
Bump of this thread from Sweden,

So, error codes are DTC 01538, 01400, 01772, 01772, 01770, where "only" the first one is Permanent, the rest intermittent.

As said, one can take a lot of chances and still get a _complete_ new air suspension system (comp+4*dampers) for less than the price of one compressor from Audi / OEM.

Should I assume I have the very same problem as You, Grease, and take a chance?

cheers, from a sunny Sweden
Carl
Indeed it payed off - it was the compressor, and all seems to work fine now. Parts from e-bay Germany, some 440 EUR, the mechanic took 50 EUR.

Audi quote was almost 1700 EUR. Guess I'll be drinking champagne this weekend....

Thank you Forum, ebay, google & Internet!

/one happy groggy Froggy

Quick Reply: Suspension Issues