Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt

I've got 97K on my '01 and it's time to do the belt and water pump. Other than taking it to the dealer, can anyone recommend a mechanic in the north NJ area to do the repair?

Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear

If you haven't already, you may also want to join and post this on: http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/
Not sure about this forum, but I know there are several regular posters there from inside and near NJ....I've never been there, as my passport is expired

Old 12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

I tried quattroworld but got no response. I have since sent the car to an independent mechanic south of me. In addition to the belt, pump and all the goodies in that area, he found a leaking oil cooler, bad upper and lower control arms and an engine in need of its' 90k mile tune-up. It's getting pricey but what can I do? It's a great car and worth the investment of many $$$. It's only money right? It will feel better once I have the car back and I have it washed. That always makes things better.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

What exactly did they say a "90K mile tune up is" ?
Plugs should be replaced at 45K miles, so maybe those...but what else? There are no other ignition parts to replace...ignition timing cannot be changed...ECU does that. Serpentine belt has to come off to get to timing belt, that's maybe $30-40.
Did they mention any other parts involved in this "tune up"?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

For the 90k service, he replaced the plugs, air and cabin filters. I just got the car back last night and it's like new. The front upper and lower control arms were replaced. The timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and thermostat are now new. The oil cooler was also replaced. He also re-balanced the tires. He had the very good sense to have the car thoroughly washed for me.

His name is Norman and I would highly recommend him. He has 3 Audi's in his driveway including a very nice S8.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

He "replaced" the oil cooler? Price?
I have rarely heard of one failing on an A8..simple design, BUT it IS common to get seal leaks or small plastic coolant pipe failure...replaceable pipe $11, but expensive labor to replace...up to $1000....tough job to remove/replace cooler.
Did they actually replace the cooler or just replace seals/pipe.
Just curious, thanks.

Last edited by silverd2; 12-24-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Site Moderator

Sorry i didn't check on this thread earlier, a slight leak from the oil cooler is normal over a long period of time, but not something most mechanics will upsell...unless they know the secret to changing it. Oil coolers on a 4.2L's are like cam adjuster seals on audi V motors. They pay amazingly well, and if you know the tricks, can pay the mechanic an amazing amount of hours on the flat rate system. The oil cooler on an 4.2L usually calls for about 8 hours of R&R time, however if you get the car up in the air you can lower down the subframe (engine and trans together) withoutout disconnecting anything with a jack under the motor just enough to get at all the bolts on the cooler. I could change those out in less than an hour, my guess is he knew how to do it. Upper control arms are also a gravy job, but those actually do go bad at the bushings.

It should be good to go for a long while yet now though, watch out for motor mount upsells, cam adjuster seals, upsteam O2 sensors, oil cooler, upper control arms, prop shaft seals and alignment upsells. These are usually gravy upsells, and they usually don't need to be done, so watch out for those when you go in for an oil change or any other service, because most of those are easy to replace yourself with a little help.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Wish I'd read that sooner but the entire cooler was replaced. I did see the parts and the plastic piece mentioned, was broken. Well, it's done and running well. Maybe I'll just overcharge my next flooring customer to compensate. Just kidding!
Merry Christmas!