Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

2011 Q7 S Line - Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2011 Q7 S Line - Transmission problem

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Q7 month and a half ago, 2011 Q7, Supercharged S Line here in Dubai. Currently 83000 Km on the odo.

Changed the disks, pads and sensors and did the small service on 75000 km.

Last week had a problem getting the shifter from P - completely stuck.
After a couple of on/off starts i've managed to move it to D but the transmission is acting really bad, not engaging the gears properly and moving from D to M, really bad sound and feeling between gears.

Took it to the Audi dealer, the technician looked at it and said there were no faults, but e will update the transmission software and double check. Right a fter the update the stability control light (and Sound) came on. He said it will go away.

During next few days I would experience sudden stop while driving, just like hitting the brakes slightly following with a sound and stability control light.

I took the car back to Audi and the guy said he will clear the faults - but this is still happening. 2 days ago iI have experienced the same issue with transmission, can't move from park, and after manually moving the lever (under the ashtray) and engaging the shifter into D, the car is driving and shifting roughly and it just feels and sounds bad.

Visited multiple Audi garages for diagnostics here in Dubai and had different opinions:

1. transmission is gone, need a new one
2. need to change the Transmission control unit
3. Need to change break switch and battery, remove the tranny control unit and check the solenoids, plus change the oil and filter.

Read a ton of forums and getting confused. Audi dealership wants to change the gearbox control unit plus basic settings adaptation (approx 1500 EUR), other shop said it might be break switch and bad battery ( battery last changed in 2015 by Audi dealership) plus to check the solenoids and change the oil ( approx 1000 EUR) but it could also be the control unit...

So here I am, trying to figure it out where to go and what to do. I've asked the Audi dealership are they 100% sure that's the problem, what if they change the part and we are still having the issue?The guy replied they are following the diagnostics and that s the first part that needs to be changed, and then they will go from there.

This morning I had the same problem but after about 20 minutes of rough shifting (man it hurts how it sounds and feels) the car came to normal and shifting like a champ.

If I go with the dealers, it will take 2 weeks to get the part from EU.

Any suggestions?

Did anyone had similar issue before?
Thanks a lot!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Hi,
I have exactly the same issue with 2011 Q7, just started yesterday, gears are very rough at start off, car stops automatically until faults are activated then all is well and drives normally except stability control is on, check engine light is on etc.
what is the actual problem??

Old 12-17-2018, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Hi Steve,

I ended up replacing the gearbox control unit at Audi Dealership and the car was working fine afterwards, however after talking to other Audi owners and shops I’ve decided to get rid of it right away.

I hope this helps and and get yours fixed.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Many thanks, I will check this out once I get the car back to the service centre.
I have just replaced the fuel injectors and HP diesel pump, so perhaps I should have got rid of it before this happened!!!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Thats the worst, when you take it to the Stealership or techs and they dont even know...