Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Considering purchasing Q7 - Disturbing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Considering purchasing Q7 - Disturbing Noise

Hello fellow Audi enthusiasts, I have just joined this forum and would like to introduce myself. I'm a long-time Audi and VW guy, and always will be. I've had an allroad, several A8s both short and long, a W12 Phaeton, GTI, Jetta, Beetles (classic and new). I do all service and repair work whenever I can. I'm currently driving a Passat VR6 4-Motion. But it's time we get an SUV, and it absolutely must be European. After a lot of research and comparisons, I've boiled my choices down to 2 cars, a 2007 Q7 or a 2006 Range Rover HSE.

I looked at a very clean Q7 today, quartz gray with black interior, and the 4.2 engine. There are a few issues, the tilt-telescopic function does not work (steering wheel) which is not a big deal to me. But two things do bother me. When cranking the motor it seems louder than it should be, and I can feel it. Also when the Q7 is running, there is a sound coming from under the vehicle in the area of the oil pan/transmission. It sounds kind of like a bad water pump or a noisy harmonic balancer...if that makes sense?

Could the noisy-shaky engine cranking be a motor mount? As for the noise emanating from under the vehicle...no idea. I welcome any and all feedback on this....thank you. Sincerely, Jeff.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Okay gang, I've searched high and low for some clues as to the sound I'm hearing under the vehicle....no success. So I've decided to ask the seller to let me take the Q7 to an Audi dealership or maybe a good Independent shop for a pre-purchase inspection. Stay tuned....

Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

I'm considering taking the Q7 to Jim Ellis Audi or maybe a good independent shop. Does anyone have any recommendations around Alpharetta, GA?

Thank You.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Update 11-30-14

As it turns out, the noise I was hearing was a pump that circulates cabin air, according to the Audi Master Tech that looked at the Q7. What a relief.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Kip
1st Gear

Did you end up purchasing it? If so, how are you liking it so far? I'm looking at a 2011 Q7 right now.
** Sorry. Didn't see your other post below. Congrats on your purchase!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Hello Kip! I was an Audi guy for many years but my last driver was a fully optioned out VW Passat VR6 4-Motion, and I figured it was at least in the VAG family. But it really feels good to be in an Audi again. This Q7 is cosmetically excellent, but it does have a couple of oil leaks, and the transmission is noisy when cold. When I get time I will fix all of the little issues. It runs and drives very nicely for such a big heavy vehicle. My wife also loves it which surprised me. Overall I'm very happy with the Q7.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:11 AM
1st Gear

Hi!

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I have some input on the telescopic tilt issue.
This feature will lock itself electronically if it senses too much resistance, for example some obstruction of the steering wheel when moving. I had this issue as well and the dealer unlocked it. After a while though it locked itself again, and now the dealer says I have to replace the steering column, = $$$. Apparantly there are some bad designs of this part which causes the internal gears and stuff to lock up.

If anybody else have fixed this issue please let me know

btw my steering wheel will move in and out, but not up and down (anymore).

Old 03-12-2015, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

Hello NorthernQ7.....I suggest you start a new thread regarding this issue, you will probably get more responses that way. I still haven't fixed my column, as it just happens to be in the ideal location for me. If there is some mechanical issue with the tilt-telescopic mechanism, that is disappointing. Hopefully others with experience on this matter will chime in.