Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 Brake Controller Install

Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

From my prior tow vehicles, I know that knee clearance is important for the brake controller. Not just during driving, but clearance getting in and out of the vehicle as well. So for the Q7, this will force me to mount the brake controller low & forward, underneath the dash. It will be a little hard to reach while driving, but I don't want it against my knee.

If you look on etrailer.com, you will see many brake controller installation photos on different vehicles. Pretty much everyone mounts it like I have described, to the right of the steering column. I don't think you want to mount it on the left side of the steering column, even if you're left handed because there is greater risk of hitting it when entering and exiting the vehicle. It's really about picking a location that won't impact your knee, but is visible and also reachable while driving (so you can use the manual braking lever if necessary).

Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Snowbird22
From my prior tow vehicles, I know that knee clearance is important for the brake controller. Not just during driving, but clearance getting in and out of the vehicle as well. So for the Q7, this will force me to mount the brake controller low & forward, underneath the dash. It will be a little hard to reach while driving, but I don't want it against my knee.

If you look on etrailer.com, you will see many brake controller installation photos on different vehicles. Pretty much everyone mounts it like I have described, to the right of the steering column. I don't think you want to mount it on the left side of the steering column, even if you're left handed because there is greater risk of hitting it when entering and exiting the vehicle. It's really about picking a location that won't impact your knee, but is visible and also reachable while driving (so you can use the manual braking lever if necessary).
Thanks for your kind reminder. I was planning to install on the right side of steering column. Since you said that, I will look again to see if it is better to go lower.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

Buy this custom harness for the Tekonsha P3 brake controller (which work excellent) to the Q7 wiring harness that is under the dash. Plug and play. I have two of them for my two Q7's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283252270206?ul_noapp=true

Old 09-24-2019, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by peter2015Q7
Buy this custom harness for the Tekonsha P3 brake controller (which work excellent) to the Q7 wiring harness that is under the dash. Plug and play. I have two of them for my two Q7's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283252270206?ul_noapp=true
Peter, is your newest Q7 a 2015? Just trying to confirm if I need to order the one with a relay for my 2017 Q7.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

We have both a 2015 and a 2019 Q7 both with factory tow package. Its the same cable. No relay, just a straight connection. I installed it with the Tekonsha P3 years ago in the 2015. To use the same controller I just bought a new cable and a hanger for the controller. It works great in both vehicles towing an approx 5,000 lbs travel trailer.

As a side note the 3.0 TDI diesel engine on the 2015 is so much better for towing. Such a shame Audi stopped importing diesels.

Pete

Old 09-24-2019, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by peter2015Q7
We have both a 2015 and a 2019 Q7 both with factory tow package. Its the same cable. No relay, just a straight connection. I installed it with the Tekonsha P3 years ago in the 2015. To use the same controller I just bought a new cable and a hanger for the controller. It works great in both vehicles towing an approx 5,000 lbs travel trailer.

As a side note the 3.0 TDI diesel engine on the 2015 is so much better for towing. Such a shame Audi stopped importing diesels.

Pete
Sweet! You just saved me the extra $30! I also have the P3 that I will be transferring from our Jeep Wrangler to our 2017 Q7.

Now I just need to get under the dash and fish out the connector.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 09-24-2019, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Finding the cable was easy on the 2015. It had some thin gray foam wrapped around the connector so look for that. The 2019 was a bitch because the lower dash needed to be pulled apart. I tried twice and then just had the dealer do it. I have no idea how the 2017 is.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Mission accomplished, and it only took an hour! I would have never found it had I not read all the stories online of others experiences.

Mine was run down behind the insulation all the way to the floor board. I had to drop the whole bottom dash panel to find the harness. From there it was a matter of pulling on it hard enough to get it out from under the floor insulation. So glad it was the brake controller connector and not connected to something important! It was the only wiring harness that I couldn't see already connected, and I figured that an unattached plug would likely follow gravity.

Thanks Peter for your help! I'll be ordering that eBay harness now.

Dale

Old 09-25-2019, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

The knowledge and experiences of others available on the internet is a wonderful thing. I am glad it worked out well.

Pete

Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Do you know if this will also work for 2014 Q7 TDI /

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q7 Brake Controller Install