Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2003 Audi TT tranny problem??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 Audi TT tranny problem??

I bought an 03 audi tt yesterday find out a light turned not the dash so they check it before I take it home and they put the computer thing to see what's wrong transmission appeared to be the problem. They changed the tranny fluid and the light is gone and every thing seems to be fine. On way home from taking it I notice that it jerks when I accelerate suddenly or I brake suddenly. I'm not to worried as I bought tranny and engine warranty for 4 years or 50k miles but would like to know if the cause the jerking was the change of tranny fluid or just the tranny it self. Oh almost forgot to mention car is an 03 with 50k miles. Is it time for a new tranny? Or just simply getting use to the tranny fluid change cause I test drove it and no jerk and I did accelerated it good on the test drive. So what could it be any suggestions???

Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Lots of posts about this problem. Only seems to happen once everything is heated up which is probably why it didn't happen after the fluid change. Looks like tyrant change is in your future. Especially since you have a warranty.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

May be worth unhooking the battery to reset the TCM. Sometimes they just need to recalibrate after service. I wouldnt think a fluid change would cause any issues with the TCM but you never know. Its an easy place to start and if nothing else you can always take it back to where you got the fluid changed and see if they have any ideas.

You could also try jacking it up (all 4 if its a quattro) and cycle through all the gears with the wheels in the air. The shop should have done this after the fluid change but sometimes they dont do it or dont do it long enough. Just bubbles in the lines that will find their way out. Run through each gear including reverse for about a minute each in tip mode.

I cant imagine the trans would be dead after only 50k miles but im not going to say its not possible.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I've got a 2004 TT with 92K miles and was told I need a new tranny at a cost of at least 8K!! Is this a bit high? What should I do?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bananatt
I've got a 2004 TT with 92K miles and was told I need a new tranny at a cost of at least 8K!! Is this a bit high? What should I do?
Sounds pretty high but the again I have never priced a rebuild on this car. I know they can be in the 4-5k range for other audis so I would shop around a bit and see else what you can find.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

i have a 2006 tt that i love and have taken care of BUT in December with only 69,000 miles i had to have a whole new transmission. i was shocked that a german car would have that happen. i have had 3 MCB and a Porsche that had 80,000 when i traded it for the tt and none of them had to have anything like this. originally it was going to be 6,200 until i bitched to audi america . they just settled a lawsuit in September about transmissions on 2006 audi a3's and VW where they extended the warranty to 100,000 mls. final bill was still $4727 and only a 12,000 ml warranty. even though i like the tt not sure i can trust it or audi engineering anymore

Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

It's a DSG, correct (dual clutch gearbox)? (my Audi memory is fading) Never liked those, they tend to be herky jerky even with everything perfect. Just the way they are. HOWEVER, when I was an Audi tech about 80% of DSG problems were caused by the Mechatronic unit inside the trans. The other 20% were a problem with one (or both) of the dual clutches. Can't recall ever having a failure of the actual mechanical trans portion (gears, synchros, etc)
Those transmissions are strange. Dual automatic clutches hooked to what's basically a manual transmission with servos to operate the shift forks. Don't really understand the purpose but, oh well.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aspen79
It's a DSG, correct (dual clutch gearbox)? (my Audi memory is fading) Never liked those, they tend to be herky jerky even with everything perfect. Just the way they are. HOWEVER, when I was an Audi tech about 80% of DSG problems were caused by the Mechatronic unit inside the trans. The other 20% were a problem with one (or both) of the dual clutches. Can't recall ever having a failure of the actual mechanical trans portion (gears, synchros, etc)
Those transmissions are strange. Dual automatic clutches hooked to what's basically a manual transmission with servos to operate the shift forks. Don't really understand the purpose but, oh well.
aspen .. mine was a tiptronic not the DSG i was told. the dealership did a diagnostic and said there was metal shavings in the fluid and that meant it was trashed. car would jerk going from 1st to 2nd horribly but was ok once on the highway and it would be ok when engine was cold but would start when the heat gauge was straight up and it wouldn't do it every time you stopped and started either. i had a tiptronic with my porsche and NEVER had a problem. now i worry about the timing belt.