Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Air bag light on when cold then goes off when warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default Air bag light on when cold then goes off when warm

The air bag light on my 01 225 would go on when the temp outside was cold and the tt was cold. As the car would warm up (~3 minutes), the air bag light would flicker and eventually go off. It was like this for several years. Then all of a sudden, the air bag light stopped turning off, regardless of how warm the car got. I parked inside my heated warehouse at work and the air bag light remained lit.

The dealer replaced the air bag control module. Total bill with tax was $917. I have a warranty, so I didn't care. Just posting this, because I know atleast one other person had the same problem.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

Mine does this as well. I have heard other owners complain about the same issue. I take my tt to a repair shop that only services vw/audi. They checked mine out while doing some maintenance when they noticed it. They could not find any trouble with the airbag system at all.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
5th Gear

I have that problem. Air bag control module fixed the issue?

Wonder if I just whack it with a big wrench a couple times if it'll shape up....

Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear

You can pretty much expect it to break after a few years. I have no idea if it prevents the air bag from actually working or not though.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
5th Gear

don't care if my airbags actually work, just need to pass inspection.
Finally got caught the other day. My inspection was due at the end of April 08. Yeah, 8 months overdue...

Cop said "I pulled you over because you don't have a front plate, and your inspection was due..... (glances at windshield again).... a long time ago...."

It was hard to keep a straight face.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:04 PM

I have the same problem. First cold morning after I bought the car and the light came on for no apparent reason. Took it to dealer and they "diagnosed" it $128 as air bag control unit. They said they couldn't find out if anything else was wrong with the air bag system until they replaced the control unit. Why do the electronic components in our cars have so much trouble in cold weather?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

Never ran into that. However I always keep my passenger airbag off.

Originally Posted by ninjatturtle
Why do the electronic components in our cars have so much trouble in cold weather?
It's because we put more strain on our car during colder weather (Heated seat, Heat, Blower & defroster). Mostly on startup, people keep all that on when they turn off the car & next time go to start car need more CCA then normal due to everything else it's turning on/powering.