Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi TT Glove box...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi TT Glove box...

First off I want to say hello to everyone. I am new to these forums and am glad that I was able to find this place because you all seem to have a ton of information about TTs in general.

To get to the point of the post...basically my glove box is friggin shot now...for some reason it wouldn't open and I ended up pulling the lever off, without much force either...the glove box still would not open so I had to force it open which, as you can guess, was a bad idea...I was able to get it closed again but it still will not open correctly, I think it's the actually piece that secures it on the right side for some reason is not going in all the way so it's leaving a lip big enough to hold it back...but I dunno. Anyway, I was wondering what my options were. The lever is not going to go back on and stay, but I was really hoping to avoid having to get an entire new glove box...though I don't know if I have a choice. There was a plastic piece where the lever secured itself on the bottom part of the lever housing that broke off so other than using super glue....riiiiiiiight....there is no way that I know to fix this and was hoping to for some insight if anyone has had this problem...I hate plastic parts....

Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Audi TT Glove box...

When I got my TT, the glove box lever was off. It was sitting in the little cubby underneat. I priced a new glove box and it was ughly $800. I think the dealership didnt know the ignition key unlocked it and pulled the lever clean off trying to open it. fortunately for me, I just snapped the whole lever assembly rightback on very easily, unlocked it and opened it right up. I don't know how bad yours is... but I DID price them when I went through this with mne. Not good ne to say the least. $800 for a friggin glove compartment is ridiculous. Even worse news... I doubt you can get a used one because the glove box is ordered by your VIN so the ignition key will fit it.

Damn wireless keyboad keeps leaving leters out. screw it. That's my only input. sorry to hear about it and good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

I tried to see if I could snap it right back in because it did look like it was possible, but as I said, the bottom plastic part that holds it in seems to have broken off. The glove box was not locked at all and had just opened the previous day so I have no idea why it would be stuck...even after I forced it open it was still stuck....I really am just so struck by this because I don't even know what is causing it to stick considering there is nothing left in the box as I took it all out before I tried to close it again so it would seem to be something with the right side connection...i dunno...

Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm make believe

the part the handle controls gets stuck in the side sometimes and you need to take the side cover off and push the side pin in and it drops open.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Ok great, I will try that and see if I can get it back open...I am also going to see if I can talk to some guys in the machine shop of the place I work to see if they can make me up something that will actually hold the lever in place for me again....I'm hoping that works out too...Thanks for all your responses and if someone else has any more suggestions please let me know. Thank you!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah it sucks, I have the same problem I've been looking at junk yards for a whole new glove box, I could give a rats *** if it locks. - Why would I lock it? - Just my insurrance info in there.

Way to much money for just a simple part, expecially one that brakes so often! - I know many MANY tt owners who have had theres break or that is currently broke.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Yeah that really sucks...I didn't put much force into the handle either and it just came right off...up to this point I have never had a problem with it...I was able to find a glove box for $500 at the cheapest so far, but it was black...I have the blue interior...

Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Man that's raw. I baby my car and hope this never happens. You're the second guy on here who's posted about a broken glove box lid that I've read about. That sucks that Audi would put something in a car that is defective like that.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 PM

When i got mine the glovebox lever/handle piece was broke off already too

Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ljzrelak

Ok great, I will try that and see if I can get it back open...I am also going to see if I can talk to some guys in the machine shop of the place I work to see if they can make me up something that will actually hold the lever in place for me again....I'm hoping that works out too...Thanks for all your responses and if someone else has any more suggestions please let me know. Thank you!
Where do you work at?
I was thinking of getting the welding and machine shops here to make me an Exhaust. haha
I already had the hydraulics shop do me up some steel brake lines

Quick Reply: Audi TT Glove box...