Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi TT will not shift into reverse, VERY HIGH revving with very slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 04:28 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Audi TT will not shift into reverse, VERY HIGH revving with very slow acceleration

Hi,

a few weeks ago, my manual audi tt stopped shifting into reverse. I could use gears 1-5, but not get into reverse. About two weeks after that, I was no longer able to shift into first, except with extreme force. I can currently shift into gears 2, 3, 4, and 5 as usual, but cannot access reverse, and have to use a forceful thrust to get it into first (and sometimes it still won't get into first). Then, the past few days, it's driving terribly....when I'm driving in gear with the gas pedal down, the RPM's are flying up, and there's very little acceleration/power, the kind of behavior you'd expect if I was slamming on the gas and pushing in the clutch at the same time. It's revving really high but it's like only 1/3 the power/acceleration it should be. Can you guys please tell me what you think would cause this? It's already been suggested to me that it might be a slipping clutch. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

Your clutch is most likely gone. If you have it in gear and the engine revs too fast and does not match tire speed, then the clutch is slipping. A clutch going out can also cause it to not go into some gears. Starting the car out in 2nd gear can also speed up this process pretty quickly. I have little experience with my new Audi, but the signs of a worn out clutch are pretty much the same from vehicle to vehicle. If someone else would follow up my response, that would be great. Just to make sure I didn't overlook anything.

Last edited by Mark24; 05-02-2014 at 06:49 PM.