B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

audi 2.8 very slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default audi 2.8 very slow acceleration

My car accelerates slow. I thought it was normal until i seen my friend drive his.. When i take off i get 0 tire spin, even before i replaces my tires when they were practically running on threads.

I think my cats clogged. I hit it and hear stuff jingling around, and my o2 sensors say there rich, so i figured there broken from when it was misfiring from oil on plugs.

Can i just hit the cat until it breaks free? Drill it out then put screws in it?
I have no welder or sawzall.

Also should i unplug the sensors or just keep them in even tho there reading bad?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

1. You don't say what year, but the 12 valve 2.8 (96-97in the US) is not a torquey motor by any means....even with good Cats and O2's.
  2. Even the 30 valve 2.8 later...you're going to have a hard time chiping the tires with AWD.
  3. You have nothing to gain by pulling bad O2 sensors. Even if they're dead, they aren't making it worse...except for the lack of information for the black box.
  4. Do not break up the Cats. In a number of ways, you could make your problem much worse.
  5. Between the oily plugs and other problems you have, there is plenty to work on before you wonder what's wrong here.
You have 8 CV joints and an expensive, sophisticated AWD system. Why do you want to shock it with enough torque to spin the tires? I think you bought the wrong car. These are made for the autoban, not the dragstrip.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Sponsor

I would start with a basic tune up. A new set of plugs, wires, 02 sensors, and air filter might bring your V6 back to life!

We have service kits available for your vehicle - PM me your vehicle information if you're interested.

Jason

Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

Its 30v from a 98.
I fixed valve cover gasket, new plugs, new wires and ignition, k and n intake.
Im not wanting to break anything i just want to feel the awd acceleration push me back in my seat, and when a non vtec d16 beats me off the line i know im lacking power.
I dont drag race, maybe some highway runs but i get outran by everything.. Even a 2000ish ford tarus was taking off on me on my way home from work today.

I figured cats because even at high rpms it sounds like its just starting to feel powerfull. all, and at low rpms it seems to take a while to rev up.

My idle is about 800 is that normal?
Not my icv already did it.

I dont have to pass inspections so why not drill it out .
Is it true that a jingling cat is bad?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Sponsor

To be honest the 30 valve V6 is not a very strong power plant from the start. Mate that to a heavy body and an all wheel drive system things start to slow down.

You could punch your cats out - essentially giving you "piggy pipes" which is what S4 guys do.

I would suggest removing the cats from the car before you punch them out, then reinstall.

Jason

Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kenny Gerard
My idle is about 800 is that normal?
Yes, that's right on.

Originally Posted by Kenny Gerard
I dont have to pass inspections so why not drill it out .
Is it true that a jingling cat is bad?
If you get it all out, that's one thing. But when you talked about just hitting it to break the stuff free: not good. With the heat produced there, you can melt the stuff into a ball and blow it back into the muffler and clog the whole thing. Ask me how I know that.....

Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Okay so heres the deal.
I drilled a half inch hole in each of the cats, and a bunch of dust was falling out.
It is way faster off the line.

Also I had 4+ CEL codes
p1127
p1129
p1139
p1141
One for "circuit connection to MAF"
And also one for a broken evap vacuum hose.

After drilling it out I'm down to just the one code for the hose that I broke (since its made out of hard plastic"

I don't even know how that's possible but I'm glad it did.