Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Acceleration - 2004 Audi A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Smile Slow Acceleration - 2004 Audi A6 3.0

Hi,

I'm looking for any advice for a used 2004 Audi A6I recently purchased with < 30M miles. I've had a local Audi mechanic do a top-to-bottom check and everything looks great from his check-up.

The only issue that I notice is that the car has slow acceleration (< 20 mph). When pressing the gas pedal, there is a slight hesitation when going from 0-20. And it seems to be persistent when driving the car. Pressing the gas pedal any harder seems to make it accelerate too hard or lurch forward a bit. The problem doesn't seem as noticeable when changing to the standard transmission mode.

Can anyone give me any recommendations? I've seen mixed reviews on the K&N filters and there doesn't seem to be any cold air intakes that fit a 3.0 engine. I was thinking that I need to increase the intake.

Thank you.

Steve

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear

Search information on recoding the transmission. You will need VAGcom cable and software.

BTW, is your car 2wd or Quattro?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Smile

Hxgaser, Thank you for responding. Mine is a quattro. I will look into your direction. I appreciate the insight.

Do you have any experience with the cold air intakes?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

I was going to say the 2wd is slow in general, but since you have a quattro so it shouldn't matter. Recode the tranny and should make a little difference.

As for the CAI, it really does not make any difference in our cars. Actually, it will drop HP in stock cars. Some people swear by K&N drop in filters, but IMHO they do not make any noticeable difference in our cars. Been there and done that...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Default Same Issue

Did you resolve the hesitation problem? My 05 A6 3.2 has the same issue. When coming to a slight rolling stop and accelerating, while still in 2nd gear, it hesitates and lunges forward.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 PM

It's not completely solved, but it's much better now. I spent many hours reasearching the topic thru this forum and calling around to various after-market dealers. I've done everything short of buying a Vag-Com and playing with the trip settings. Being somewhat of a novice, I'm worred about screwing-up something with the engine. Most after-market dealers are very helpful and will spend time talking with you over the phone.

Anyhow, below is a list including what I've done. The Unitronic software has made a really big difference. The catback has also improved the overall power; I'm really impressed with the acceleration, especialy above 45+ MPH. Another option I've researched is sometihng called a trip-chip. It seems to have mixed-results. The after-market software by such companies as Unitronic or GIAC really improve the performance on the turbo models, but can get expensive.

Please let me know what happens and good luck!!!

(1) Change to Shell V-Power / 93 Octane
(2) Installed Unitronic Engine software
(3) Installed Milltek Catback
(4) K&N Drop-In Filter

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

The GIAC chip will do next to nothing for a normally aspirated engine. Save your money. (It does increase the boost among other things on the turbo, which is why there is a significant power increase.) A couple of the companies do offer a TIP-chip for the tiptronic transmission. Don't know what you have and cannot comment, since I have the MT6. Bottom line, these are big, heavy cars and do not accelerate all that fast, but will cruise happily all day at 80-120 mph (if you can find a place to do that).