Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

AWD or 4wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: AWD or 4wheel drive

ORIGINAL: Murderface

The TT Quattro is AWD, the stock Haldex controller sends 80% torque to front, 20% to rear wheels when slip is sensed.
No.

Haldex can transfer up to 50% torque depending on the difference it senses between axle input and output. Your Haldex "Blue" and "Orange" controllers just eliminate the need for slip and make it constantly transfer greater power to the rear.

An A4 Quattro is a "more true" AWD system with more or less equal torque to front and rear.
Torsen in A4's and the likes just keeps an even split constantly. Haldex and Torsen both have open front and rear diff's and use electronic differential lock to distribute torque. I.E. they distribute torque the same under slip, but Torsen keeps the 50/50 constantly.
Right

Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: joshuo

so, Haldex + Blue controller = Torsen?
no.
haldex + blue controller = a less front wheel biased haldex... torsen and haldex are not the same.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: sheepcan

So if I get the orange controller will I be able to slide easier?
some reading for you... http://www.hpamotorsports.com/produc...ain_haldex.htm

Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

4wd sends power to front and rear continuously through a transfer case; there is no clutch mechanism in the transfer case to allow slippage between front & rear axles. Therefore you can't use 4wd on dry pavement because front & rear tiresrotate at different speeds when turning & drivetrain binding occurs. That's why you can only use true 4wd on a surface that allows tire slippage (typically snow or dirt). Awd on the other hand has mechanisms in the drivetrain to account for the front to rear speed differences (transfer case with clutch, haldex, or whatever) so it can be used all the time on dry pavement.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: 225tt

So really there is no reason to get a "blue" or "orange" controller unless you were serious into auto x. But for drag racing or just on the street it really isnt that importat because the stock haldex controller can send up to 50percent to the rear wheels? Is this what your saying?
Not necessarily true... The stock controller reacts to slip, and sends power to the rear, the blue controller anticipates it by taking its reading from your foot on the pedal rather than power output from the engine.

From HPA:

This upgrade increases torque transmission at acceleration providing consistent performance with increased over-steer. The torque-transmission is influenced by how fast you press the accelerator down. The Haldex system can transmit torque before the engine delivers torque. At greater speeds the torque will decrease enabling less over-steer and safer driving properties.

The advantages of this HPP upgrade are it’s ability to predict the onset of torque. This upgrade takes into account the TPS signal more so than the OEM software and therefore can proactively begin applying power to the RWD clutch packs before wheel spin begins. As power is increased, more power lock occurs in the RWD unit until full lock is achieved. To summarize, the new HPP is more aggressive with how it transfers power and does so much more proactively than the OEM system. This is ideal for autocross, road racing, and street driving as well as enhancements to poor weather driving.

I have the blue controller, it works so well, you can't tell its doing anything. My first week with it I noticed the car was clawing its way out of corners better than before, but now that I'm used it it, its like the car was just designed to be the way it is.

The orange controller I might compare to the Torsen system, if I remember right, it keeps the clutch packs engaged at all times, pretty much locking the front and rear axles together. The stock, and blue controllers release the rear axle to a free wheel situation for braking, which is exactly what you'd want for snow/rain situations on the street. Orange is designed for track use only.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:03 PM

So if I were looking to get the blue controller, is this what I'd be looking for?

http://www.esetuning.com/Haldex-AWD-...p/haldex01.htm

Old 12-29-2007, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

thats the most expensive blue controller i've ever seen....mjmautohaus.com and few others have them for 650-700

Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks.