Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Can you determine whether an odometer has been reset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Can you determine whether an odometer has been reset?

There is a 2003 TT for sale and it sounds awesome. Apparently, it's like a new showroom car with only 1700Kms! Is there a way to determine whether the odometer has been reset? I just wonder because it sounds almost too good to be true. Other than that, it appears to be immaculate.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Can you determine whether an odometer has been reset?

Reset, no, not that I know of, but if someone replaced the instrument cluster, and didn't accurately set the milage on the new one before driving it, you're milage would be off. BUT, if that happened, legally there should be a sticker in the door saying that its not the true milage (if a garage did the work). I had the opportunity to falsely display my milage, since I installed my own cluster (no-one would have known I replaced it) but I opted for the legal way, which also lets me quickly see how many miles I actually DO have, so I can plan maintainance more easily. Odometer fraud is a big deal, so even if you find out later that someone did lie to you, I would imagine you would have some legal recourse to set things right.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 AM
1st Gear

I recommend checking to see if the original Owner's Manual is with the car. Is there a way to contact the original owner to check the authenticity of the mileage? Did it have a 1st Service and is this recorded in the service book? Do the tyres and interior look like they have barely been used?

I must say the mileage is extremely low considering the age and is probably too low to have been manipulated, ie. if you were going to trim the odo, would you be that extreme?

I would be seeking some explanation as to why the mileage is so low. My wife's 2003 TT was 15 months old when we picked it up with only around 6700 Kilometres registered. The TT had 2 dealer services recorded in the service records which were consistant with the average mileage over the period. It has run like clockwork for the 2 years she has had it with no surprises.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 PM
5th Gear

you could try a carfax report on it too, that would show milage anytime it went in to the dealer.