Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Custom Tuning, Faster to Slower

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Custom Tuning, Faster to Slower

ORIGINAL: rayveedub

the ecu adapts to fuel, altitude, air density etc.... after you first got the chip installed the car had no revised operating parameters. it was thinking it was running in the perfect environment. it probably pulled timing. use unisettings for unitronic.ca to add a few degrees of timing.
That's what I thought too.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm make believe

adaptation is either a pleasure or a bitch to have sometimes.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

Nah, I doubt its Lipm mode.

He said it feels like the ECU reset. so basically it just feels like it lost a little power compared to what it was after the ECU flash. If he went in Limp Mode... he'd DEFINITELY have mentioned that. Limp mode is damn near like coasting in neutral. I mean... losing SOME power... and losing so much that the car only goes 5mph unless you're already moving... is totally different.

If he hit limp... and the car completely stopped going above 1500 rpms... i think he'd be a little more pissed off. lol

not to mention... I've hit limp before and it went away as soon as I shut down and restarted.
Actually, that isn't quite correct. When I first got a Revo Tune and then a Boost Machine. I set the boost to high and the car did go into Limp mode.
It felt like all the power was just taken away but it still was getting about 6-7psi of max boost. Limp mode will let you go over 1500 rpms but will limit
your boost down considterably. So it could be that he is in limp mode. No way of telling without a Boost Gauge to check the psi.
I think those cars should have come from the factory with a Boost Gauge. It's the very first mod that everyone owning a Turbo charged TT should get.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

neur0tic, it's probably choice #3!

Unfortunately I don't have a boost guage since I do things backwards, but I'll check the 1/4 inch hose and see if it burst. If not, I'm going to have the folks that tuned the car take a look, since I paid them for the job I would hope that they make things right...

I really don't think I'm in any kind of limp mode-I hammered the car like a jerk on the day I got the car back to show off to a friend, I DEFINATELY hit limp mode that day. The car felt like it had 3 horsepower, I shut the car off, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and it was fine. The car doesn't feel anything like that now, it just feels like its back to being stock. And I'm using 93 octane, like I always do!

I'll keep everyone posted as things develop, I really appreciate all the help!
Btw, what's the deal with unitronic, I can just grab a cable and use the software they're offering, and I can do my own tuning?? Seems like a pretty good deal!! Has anyone used this and what are your thoughts on it?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: quattrocket

I really don't think I'm in any kind of limp mode-I hammered the car like a jerk on the day I got the car back to show off to a friend, I DEFINATELY hit limp mode that day. The car felt like it had 3 horsepower, I shut the car off, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and it was fine. The car doesn't feel anything like that now, it just feels like its back to being stock. And I'm using 93 octane, like I always do!

Yea, I've had vacuum lines go, and thats exactly what it felt like. I actually had a post in this forum where I thought my ECU unflashed. If you get a small hole or a small amount or hose deterioration... you'll leak just a little and you'll start seeing 2-4 psi drop in boost. If you're like me... You'll start driving it hard and try to get it to boost back up to where it was. When you run it harder trying to get it to boost higher... that will eventually make the hole much bigger until you have a HUGE leak and your boost will drop off like 10-13 psi less than it was. Good side to this... is that once you run it hard and blow a huge hole in the line... the leak is much easier to find. haha
whenever i get a small boost leak, I just push it to the limits until it either blows out the hole it was leaking from .... or finishes blowing loose the hose that was coming off. once you blow a huge hole in the line... you'll be able to see THAT very easily. A lot of small boost leaks are VERY VERY small holes in vacuum lines that you may not be able to see. Some of them are like pinholes on the backside of a hose. but if you blow a 1" or 2" hole in a ¼" vacuum hose... you'll be able to find that REAL quick.

I'll keep everyone posted as things develop, I really appreciate all the help!
Btw, what's the deal with unitronic, I can just grab a cable and use the software they're offering, and I can do my own tuning?? Seems like a pretty good deal!! Has anyone used this and what are your thoughts on it?
Ok... Revo and Unitronics... is a PROJECT (not a product, so its free and you cant get tech support. they made it as a tool to help people out.) They developed this very simple program (only about 50kb) that allows you limited control of some ECU functions. You cant TUNE your ECU... but you can tweak a few settings.
You need a working Vag-Com cable to do it and you have a few options for that.

Theres two programs you can use for tweaking. Both are identical, but one is for one type of cable.. and the other is for another type of cable
Lemmingwinksâ„¢ is for the Serial interface cable
Unisettingsâ„¢ is for the USB interface cable

You can get some cables on ebay, but it's real hit or miss on those. I went off on what i think about ebay cables in another thread [click here] where i list the pros, cons, and what to look out for when buying a cable from ebay.
Hope this helps

Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the great info neur0tic!

The verdict is in on my TT's poor performance...it was...::drumroll please::....a busticated turbo hose!! The hose going into the N75 valve was toast, when I looked around I couldn't find it, but the good ol' boys at my shop sure did. So that's the good news...

The bad news is that I have to replace my tires since I have steel showing through!! Crap!!!

Well at least once all this stuff is taken care of the car will be wicked fast again with decent grip....thanks again for all the help!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

I got my car back a couple days ago and I think I'm just meant to drive slow. The busted turbo hose was fixed, also had an oil change done, and STILL, the car feels like it's lagging...the shop said the boost is right where it should be, 22psi tapering off to 16psi. I really do not know what is going on here, but it's stressing me out!!

The car is in great shape, never a problem when it was stock, but now it's just acting up! The clutch is nice and strong, but what else could make it lag? It's DEFINITELY not as bad as when I brought it in, but it still feels like I'm missing maybe 10-15 HP that I had when it was first tuned....the mechanics say there's nothing mechanically wrong, and the guy who did the custom tune said it's got to be something mechanical! Any ideas??