Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Decisions for the weekend tune-up ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

I use mobile 1 0w40 OR Castrol full syn 5w-40 (I think?, its the closest one avail to 0w-40). Both work well. I just buy whatever is cheaper. Mobile is prob slightly better, because its the correct weight (0w-40).

Don't cheap out on the filter either. A while back there was a class action against fram for distroying engines. Fram left cardboard scraps in their filters. I use the mobile one, KN or purelator filters. Any filter near the $10 range is pretty much ok to use.

You need 5 qtrs as the 225 tt takes 4.3 qrts. Get a new drain plug and crush washer as well.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jakej
I use mobile 1 0w40 OR Castrol full syn 5w-40 (I think?, its the closest one avail to 0w-40). Both work well. I just buy whatever is cheaper. Mobile is prob slightly better, because its the correct weight (0w-40).

Don't cheap out on the filter either. A while back there was a class action against fram for distroying engines. Fram left cardboard scraps in their filters. I use the mobile one, KN or purelator filters. Any filter near the $10 range is pretty much ok to use.

You need 5 qtrs as the 225 tt takes 4.3 qrts. Get a new drain plug and crush washer as well.
ok ok this is great ! I thought I heard 0w30, not 0w40.. ? What is a crush washer too ?
Also can you get mobile 1 filter at any car part store like autozone or carquest, etc. ?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM
1st Gear

i used to use mobile 1 0w 40 but my tt burns oil every 1k miles so i used 5w40 castrol from volkswagen dealer

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

The crush washer goes around the drain bolt to prevent leaking. You can get the washer and filters from pretty much any auto parts store.

If you haven't changed the oil in the tt yourself before, I highly suggest an oil filter wrench that looks like a belt that you attach to a socket wrench. It's the only one I could get to work.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Crush washers come in different sizes. I don't remember what size the TT has. Perhaps someone on here could shed some light.

Royal Purple > Mobil 1, by far. Without going into the 'schpeal', someone I knew was commissioned to do independent testing on most of the popular oils, including all of the store brands, RP, Motul, etc. The conclusion: the zinc content in Royal Purple coated the internals better, the oil didn't break down nearly as quickly as all of the others, and there was a noteworthy overall drop in friction and a more efficient heat transfer.

I was told that, due to current EPA restrictions, it has become expensive for motor oil manufacturers to put zinc in their oil - hence the price and benefit of Royal Purple.

/

Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

Without a doubt R.P. is the best oil, but unless you have a built engine/race car it's over kill IMO.

I would only use RP in something that saw the track for atleast 10% of its life/miles.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM

also if you have your oil changed by a shop it would be easy to tell if they used RP because it is purple for the first few weeks after the change.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 PM

what size crush washer do i need ?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jakej
Without a doubt R.P. is the best oil, but unless you have a built engine/race car it's over kill IMO.

I would only use RP in something that saw the track for atleast 10% of its life/miles.
Anything that gets a lot of "stop-go" use benefits from reduced friction. NAPA Auto Parts used to annually blow about 40 engines & transmissions (combined figure) on their delivery trucks before switching to RP for motor oil & tranny fluid. Now they blow 2-4 annually.

Good oil isn't overkill, it's just prudent, preventative maintenance. Also, you don't have to worry about the 'sludge' those castrol commercials made everyone afraid of

Originally Posted by ninjatturtle
also if you have your oil changed by a shop it would be easy to tell if they used RP because it is purple for the first few weeks after the change.
I've never seen the oil come out purple, ever.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:52 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA
@ 3:27 he pours the the royal purple into a container and you should notice it is dark purple. i also remember thinking to myself, after using RP for the first time, how strange it was that it was dyed purple.
though i have to admit i don't agree with some of the claims made in the above video.

Quick Reply: Decisions for the weekend tune-up ?