Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

How do I ensure my Audi lasts longer? Also included are my problems with it

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Jnx
1st Gear
Default Fuel gauge and starting problems.

Hi all, I have two main problems with my 2001 Audi TT quattro roadster.

1) Fuel gauge doesn't work. It use to be easy to read, because 1/2 full use to mean it was pretty much empty, and when you filled it up, it instantly went back up to full. Now, it takes awhile for it to display it's full, it'll stay at either 1/2 way or 1/2 between full and 1/2 way. Basically 1/2 full means it's empty, but I just go by miles traveled. How do I diagnose to see if it's the instrument cluster or a problem in the actual gas tank? My LCD screen on the cluster is also bad (very pixelated and unreadable), that's why I'm thinking it might be the gauge.

2) Rarely my car has troubles turning on. I'll turn it and it just won't start. It takes a few tries to get it working, but usually it turns on eventually. I just recently replaced my battery. I have a friend with a different car (not an Audi) that says he had this problem before where it rarely had problems starting, and he says it's the electronics and it happens based on the weather (how humid it was or wasn't, if it rained, etc). Is he right?

The car has 95,000 miles on it. How many miles do these cars generally last?

(title is a bit wrong because I edited this post a whole lot)

Last edited by Jnx; 05-27-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

1) Definitely sounds like the dashpod fault you've got there, the only ways that I know of fixing it are you can send them away and pay around £200 (thats uk, sorry didnt notice where you're from!) or get a new one from Audi for approx £800. Hopefully someone will come along who knows a cheaper fix

2) sorry dont know about this but get it hooked up to VAGCOM diagnostics and it might reveal something.

My TT is on 93K and running very well, there are a few guys on another TT forum I frequent who have 150K + and most are remapped! Keep it regularly serviced and it should look after you for a long time

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jnx
Hi all, I have two main problems with my 2001 Audi TT quattro roadster.

1) Fuel gauge doesn't work. It use to be easy to read, because 1/2 full use to mean it was pretty much empty, and when you filled it up, it instantly went back up to full. Now, it takes awhile for it to display it's full, it'll stay at either 1/2 way or 1/2 between full and 1/2 way. Basically 1/2 full means it's empty, but I just go by miles traveled. How do I diagnose to see if it's the instrument cluster or a problem in the actual gas tank? My LCD screen on the cluster is also bad (very pixelated and unreadable), that's why I'm thinking it might be the gauge.

2) Rarely my car has troubles turning on. I'll turn it and it just won't start. It takes a few tries to get it working, but usually it turns on eventually. I just recently replaced my battery. I have a friend with a different car (not an Audi) that says he had this problem before where it rarely had problems starting, and he says it's the electronics and it happens based on the weather (how humid it was or wasn't, if it rained, etc). Is he right?

The car has 95,000 miles on it. How many miles do these cars generally last?

(title is a bit wrong because I edited this post a whole lot)

instrument cluster is it many still with faulty one as Audi did not honor their agreement there is Ebay for $349.00 plus shipping

have a local who does it for $200.00 I believe.

and last 300K just keep regular maint. and regular things.... more but reasonable ....