Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

I just bought a 2000 audi tt... few problems...need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default I just bought a 2000 audi tt... few problems...need help

Hey everyone,

I bought a 2000 audi tt last night. It is the NON-quattro model. Got it for $9800. The body looks perfect, rims with no rash, inside looks good...leather is a little worn in a few places...but nothing I cant touch up.

However I need help.

The person before installed a ECU chip...or something of that nature. However the CHECK engine light is on. The car does not appear to have any problems to me...but I dont know these cars very well. It does seem a little bit sluggish but again it might be turbo lag..idk....so im not sure what it is. Also the pixels are out above the steering wheel, From what I read this is fairly common.

Does anyone know what the check Engine light could be? Or things to look for? (Think this could be just becase the car has a chip)?

The car has 78,100 miles. I put on 230 miles last night and didn't have a problem. The car is also rather quick in all gears.
I plan on replacing the water pump and timing belt with in the next month. He stated he has not done this. Should this be done soon...?

The person before me said that since a rear light is out in the back (one blub) that is what made the check engine light come on. I'm not sure if he is full of it or not. Either way if its something different or major he said he would take the car back no questions asked. So for this price it seemed like a really good deal.

Please let me know what you think. I need opinons. I'm going to bring it into the dealer this week to have the car reviewed.
Also am I able to change the oil myself in this car? ...

Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I just bought a 2000 audi tt... few problems...need help

Congrats on the car...

1) What you perceive as sluggish may well be turbo lag, but it also could be a leak somewhere. A good investment will be a boost guage, which will allow you to determine if there is a venting issue.

2) The timing belt should be done before the next 230 miles... I hope you already ordered the kit (if you're doing this yourself, that is).

3) The person who sold you the car was either completely ignorant or full of BS... a rear taillight cannot make a car's ECU throw a code (turning the check engine light on).

4) He said he'd take the car back -- do you have it in writing? If not, you may find that's more difficult than you anticipated.

If the car is modified, a dealer will likely get fussy from what I gather. This may mean an increase in cost of maintenance.

Why bother changing the oil yourself? I usually buy it and a good filter, then take it to a reputable lube shop.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

Ah, I forgot to mention - regarding the check engine light, you need to have the code scanned by someone with a "VAG-COM". Find a shop that you like that services Audi, your luck is probably better with something like that than a dealer, anyhow.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

I figured the guy was full of it to be honest. Just for the price i wasn't going to get to grumpy, it doesn't seem major. As for the timing belt I cant afford it for another month or so and i drive 60 miles a day. Do you think its a DIY project? I have a friend who is a mechanic, but is it pretty easy to screw up? ...Other than that...the oil change... I just like to do that sorta stuff.

Do you think the audi being modified with the chip, I also forgot to mention he upgraded the exhaust. Said it has 215hp now, which by the feel of it I wouldn't doubt it...but again I just got it yesterday, so im not 100% SURE.

Do you think this could cause the check engine? ...or the fact that the timing belt is ready to be changed could be causing the light?

I just know im going HAVE to get the belt changed, and its not worth screwing up the engine over it...just im sorta shy on cash at the moment...so I might be attempting it myself....Im not to shabby mechanically...but im not amazing by any means...

Thank you guys!

~Chris

Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear

What is the difference between these to timing belts kits?

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Golf-...spagenameZWDVW

2.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...spagenameZWDVW

There is a 100 price difference, and one comes with more parts.

Thanks,

~Chris

I figure if I can save money on the parts and take it to a NON-dealer for the timing belt I might be able to save some change. (HOPEFULLY!)

Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
4th Gear

There are a lot of write-ups on this forum for the timing belt.
Use the Search to find them.
From what I've read about other people doing their own timing belt it takes 6-7 hours.
Also that it goes easier when you have another set of helping hands. Like your mechanic buddy.
I completely dispise dealerships, so for the oil change you may find it less of a hassle to DIY.
There was a link for everyone that had Vag-Com and only wanted like beer in return for using it...
I tried searching for it but had no luck maybe someone else remembers where it is. [:-]
Good Luck with your new TT!
-Becca

Old 10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

I noticed outside of my car today below it there was a SMALL clear moist spot...coming from the mid part of the car...does the car have a cooling system that does this?...turbo need to cool /... i've never had a turbo car before.

also its like 40 degrees out here... I got in teh car didn't let it warm up...hit the gas and the car kinda bounced... is that normal? ...after it bounced ..i took it out of gear..and just let the car cost for a couple seconds...then it zipped right along.... I think your supposed to let turbos warm up for a few ..is that true? ...I have it going into the dealership tomorrow for a full diagnositic...again ..im not to worried...

THANK YOU GUYS YOUR AHUUUUUUGE HELP AND COMFORT WITH THE NEW CAR!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

Whenever you see liquid under your car that disturbs you, get some on your fingers and smell it. (99% of the time the clear stuff is water). If it ever smells sweet, that's usually coolant. If it smells like gas, run for your life. (LOL)

Also... LET THE MOTOR AND TURBOS WARM UP!!!! AND LET THEM COOL DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE!!!! In that temperature, at LEAST 5 minutes. Because no one wants to see you write a new thread "the car was going fine, but then all of a sudden just lost a whole bunch of power..."

As far as the car bouncing, I don't drive in that weather very often, so I'm not quite sure -- if it happens in warmer weather, however, that could be an electrical problem (plug, wire, coil packs, etc.).

Old 10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear

I've been letting it warm up since it happened, and haven't had a problem since, this morning...it was rather chilly outside (32F) ...it was a little rough for about a minute...once it warmed up...smooth as butter.

The fluid was just water I believe...didn't leave a stain or smell....so I think all is well.

The car is going in for a diognostic on tuesday to confirm that the car is in good health...doesn't seem to have any problems at the current moment....but you never know!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear

True, true. Get that timing belt done!

Good luck