Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

The Key shift points in a Race for the TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default The Key shift points in a Race for the TT

I want to know what you guys shift at if your racing or trying to get the best quarter mile time!

heres mine
Launch at (rpm) 3500

1st
redline
2nd
3rd
4th
redline
5th
red line
6th
none no seventh gear to go to lol

I know the TT makes practically no power after 5500 rpm

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: The Key shift points in a Race for the TT

Thats a pretty weak launch. Try higher rpms

Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
4th Gear

not redline... you should shift around 5500-5800k because past that you start to lose boost

Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

I've been meaning to write this for a while.

http://audittmk1.blogspot.com/2008/0...d-mkiv-vw.html

Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

hmmm interesting topic...since you drag your TT it's gonna be quite different than my shifting pattern. i've got a 225Q 6spd soo...

here goes:
Auto-x:
-Launch @ 40-45 (x100). just enough for the tires to minimally chirp and for the haldex to kick
-1st gear --> redline
-2nd gear --> redline (depending on the course layout i'll stay and bounce off the limiter and stay in 2nd throughout)
-3rd gear --> hardly get to get into 3rd. if i do it's for a split second and if it's in that situation...i'll stay in 2nd and bounce the limiter.
-gears 4,5+6 --> don't use

Circuit-x:
-Launch - same as above
-1st gear --> redline
-2nd gear --> 60 -redline (again depending on course layout)
-3rd gear --> just about 60
-4th gear --> same
-5th gear --> just about the same give or take 500
-6th gear --> haven't been able to get there yet but i'll let you know when i find out

gears 5+6 would be much easier to deal with once i chip my TT

again, the course layout determines my gear shifting but those are my patterns generally speaking...if you haven't noticed i push my TT to the limit...all i have to say thank God for Amsoil

not redline... you should shift around 5500-5800k because past that you start to lose boost
in my experience, if you know how to feather your clutch during shift changes the loss of boost isn't that much, but it also depends on which gears you're in...i could be wrong but that's just me. i'm a n00b to TTs but not to turbos

Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM

hmm interesting topic....

im wondering if anyone knows how much of this abuse will a stock clutch take until its dead though?? i like to push my car but dont like buying clutches...

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear

The only time you wear your clutch is when it is not fully engaged or disengaged, i.e. when you're slipping it. Shifitng QUICKLY at high RPM's won't shorten its lifespan. Slipping/riding it a lot while launching or shifting will.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
4th Gear

when you guys launch, say 4k rpms... do you rev up then literally just dump the clutch completely?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

aggressive abuse of the clutch as stated previously will not shorten the lifespan of the clutch but slipping will. double clutching will greatly decrease the lifespan of a clutch but since TTs aren't normally RWD it would be kinda ridiculous to double clutch.

dumping the clutch...eh...kinda sorda. if you haven't noticed pressing the clutch all the way to the floor to shift is not a necessity in our TTs...same as GTIs, R32s so forth and so on. during launch sequence i dump the clutch because i need the stock haldex to kick in asap. once the fronts semi-chirp i can feel the rears kick in and i'm gone. the best launch is to be able to do the same sequence but w/o letting the fronts chirp at all...takes practice and lots of it.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

i will try this method...i normally redline though 1-4...but definetly can feel my car loosing boost in third...thats where a 06 rsx-s mad third gear pull on me with all his vtak.

Quick Reply: The Key shift points in a Race for the TT