Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Looking to install an intake air temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear
Default Looking to install an intake air temp gauge

Really, I'd like to get an intake manifold air temp gauge so I can see what levels im at going into the engine post-intercoolers, maybe even dual gauges... one for both. the only practical place I could think of putting a sensor though, would be after the VTDA on the inlet side of the MAF housing before the screen. Otherwise, there'd be risk of either sucking a sensor into the intake manifold or into the turbo (depending on which sensor you're talking about).

Are there kits or anyone with knowledge or experience with either of these or both?
thanks

-chris

Old 05-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Looking to install an intake air temp gauge

You already have one, buy a ross-tech cable and you can use the stock one. You can see how the increase in heat will pulling timing and vise versa.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

ross-tech cable? where's the sensor located?

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

You can see how the increase in heat will pulling timing and vise versa.
Yea, That's kind of what Im looking for, I want to be able to monitor heatsoak and intercooler performance (that's why I'd honestly like one before MAF and one before intake manifold.)

Old 05-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm make believe

Ross-Tech (real vag cables)

It is in the TB, you cant miss it.

You will easily be able to tell if you ic is heatsoaked with just the stock sensor (it will increase with runs and will be no where near ambient temps). Also the pre maf temps will be ~ outside temps. A good fmic should get the temps to close to ambeint (outside) temps.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear

Yea, but the problem is right now... After running it mildy hard on the highway for an hour; my VTDA is friggin hot as hell when I open the hood. easily. I guess I could just get an ambient air temp sensor and mount it in the engine compartment near the intake inlet.Not to mention the engine bay ambient air is probably 110°~120° easily. I guess I could just get an ambient air temp sensor and mount it in the engine compartment near the intake inlet.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm make believe

whats the point of that since the vtda is "cold air intake" and shouldnt be taking in "hot air" (just saying). The intake man temps are all that matter in timing and ic effiency. You can tell how good a core is buy the stock sensor. You can add more if you wish, but its not really needed or worth it.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

Well I could also reconfigure my intake feeds or location as well as trim and other things of that nature and try to reduce the engine compartment temps. I see what you're saying though. Unfortunately, the VTDA has no feeds and is a very short RAM intake and gets the air from right next to the engine almost. Keep in mind that the VTDA is super-insulated too so while the metal outside may be very hot from being located where it is, the air coming in may not be very hot. I may try to get some metal feed tubes from thettshop.com and try running them from the front skirt up to the inlet of the VTDA to try to get cooler air to it. There's no connection for the feeds but if there's cool air blowing RIGHT AT the inlet, im sure it'll be sucked in. Not to mention I could always get a 120mm or 80mm computer fan and wire it up and install it IN the feed to force feed the airthrough the feeds. It'd still be at the mercy of the VTDA inlet as to whether it pulls THAT air in or not. -shrugs- just an idea.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 AM
2nd Gear

Ross-Tech cable?... you're talking about ordering the VAG-COM ssetup for diagnostics?
I was more referring to an actual gauge for inside the car to measure intake manifold temps. I don't wanna have to carry a laptop with me everywhere I go as a gauge.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm make believe

With the vag cable you can run logs of:

timing
iat
a/f ratios
boost requested
boost actural
mafs g/s
timing pull
estimated hp/tq
and more

also you can clear and read codes, do tb alignments, raise idle, and tons more.

All you have to do is a couple pulls. Its not going to change much day to day and also its not something you need to monitor like boost and a/f ratios.