Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New but have old question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Default New but have old question

Hi,new to this forum but have what I am sure is old question concerning erratic gauges.My wife has 2001 TT coupe(225 HP) and for most part has been great car.Gauges have always been a little squirrelly but on way back from vacation in Colorado that went to different level.The coolant temp.gauge most of time just goes to dead center and stays there.On way home it was going back and forth between(pegged) cold and dead dead center.When it would go to the cold side the engine warning would flash and warning beep.I guess what I am asking is(obviously going to take to shop) but in meantime(can I ignor engine warning flash on screen?)(goes away when gauge returns to normal)(whatever that is).The fuel level gauge is also acting similar(squirrel) staying pegged on full(even after driving 350 miles)(or going to completely empty after recent fill up).Not too excited about replacing instrument cluster(both from a mechanical and economic scenario).My gut tells me car is fine(runs great) and gauges are sending false readings but will this(engine warning) shut down car?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 AM
5th Gear

Unfortunately, the gauge clusters in TT's are a known issue, that Audi has only made a halfass attempt to rectify. Theres a good chance that the issue is only with the cluster, but I can't say I've heard of a warning/beep when the gauge is reading on the cold side... so I can't be positive. Might also be the sender.

I have the same issue with my fuel gauge, pulled a code for a short in the wiring. Could be a dirty/bad contact on the fuel sender, and not a cluster issue. Run Techron fuel injector cleaner with your next couple of tanks of gas and see if that issue clears up. Techron is good stuff.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Default In the Shop

Yeah,when it comes to tempature/engine warnings I decided I didn't want to chance it and dropped off at shop yesterday afternoon(with a Audi,Porsche and Landrover one of them is always at shop for something ,so in this case dropped off Audi and picked up Rover-it's a conspiracy!).They called this morning and said it's temp.sending unit(not gauge cluster)(I guess that's good news?) and also will check sending unit for fuel gauge.The center display screen is(has been) garbled,pixelized non sense for years.Some very cold days it actually ledgable but no ryme or reason.But the car itself is still very unique looking and attention getter after all these years.My wife has loved it.Leather seats have worn good,great (Bose) stereo.We were in Colorado on vacation last week and it was awesome car driving the mountain roads.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear

Pretty much what achTTung said. Techron in the gas and a temp sensor may help. Most likely you are going to need a new gauge cluster as well. A new cluster with install is close to $1k. It's not really needed either, so it's a personal call if its worth it.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 AM
3rd Gear

The garbaled led screen should be replaced for you for free at any Audi dealership.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 AM
5th Gear

way past any in-service date, I dunno if they'd do anything about the cluster display.

temp sender = $15
cluster = $900

I'd say you got lucky with that repair.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

I also have a problem with the cluster, but only with the fuel gague, it ready half when it's empty. Gas light comes on fine so i know when to fill up. You can check the temp of the coolant using the heating controls (49).

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by achTTung
way past any in-service date, I dunno if they'd do anything about the cluster display.

temp sender = $15
cluster = $900

I'd say you got lucky with that repair.
Yeah,he quoted me $23 but better than cluster.Car has close to 100 thou(almost 9 yrs old) on it so little things like that are part of it.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kwiniarz
I also have a problem with the cluster, but only with the fuel gague, it ready half when it's empty. Gas light comes on fine so i know when to fill up. You can check the temp of the coolant using the heating controls (49).
And you may be able to fix your gas gauge with vag com. Drive until you hit reserve and adjust using block 30 under Adaption/instrument cluster control module. You should be able to move the needle with the up and down arrows on th GUI or by typing in a value from 120 to 136, default is 128. Bently manual describes the process but you will need vag com. I was messing around with it last weekend. I need to hit my reserve mark before calibrating but I did do the gauge sweep test and all work fine and settle at 60MPH, Half mark, half mark, 3kRPM. So that eliminates the "bad cluster" might be worth a try for you to test and calibrate if you have vag com.

I recently had to replace my gast tank after hitting something on the freeway and it messed up my fuel gauge...just recently got her back after having to send it in to have both senders replaced, our cars have two. The shop could not get it to work so I did some research on my own.

Last edited by Mobius97; 06-17-2009 at 11:32 PM.