Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Newbie with a ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Newbie with a ?

Looking at an 01 TT locally and wanted to get the experts opinion as far as price. The vehicle is in extremely great condition and he is checking to make sure timing belt has been replaced. If not he will replace for no extra. Link to site here http://www.lakecity-imports.com/used...bfb2355434a0d9

Next question. He said this vehicle is equipped with Audi's navigation system. I can't find much info online on this. Anybody here have this option as I'm curious to know your opinions and ease of use. Thanks in advance for your help.

jason

Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Newbie with a ?

In the pick there is a dual exhaust, it also says its the 1.8... I know I'll get ripped apart for this but I thought the 1.8's were single exhaust stock and the 225s were dual. hmm

Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

They are all 1.8T's. The 180 HP vs. has a single outlet and the 225 HP has a dual.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

It is a 1.8 but it's the 225hp flavor not the 180hp. Thus the dual exhaust

Old 03-29-2007, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

Justlike mine though a year olderbut priceseems a little steep for that year/mileage but you are in a different part of the country so its hard to tell.
I did 100 mile radius searches on yahoo to find mine.

The NAV system on it is very easy to use but not very comprehensive. Very limited on streets names.
If you have disks labled older than 2003 it will be even worse than mine. Most people with Audis (not TT owners) get after market NAVs.
It does look like it has heated seats though? Good deal on that. Yep get timing belt taken care of before hand!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM

I have nav on mine as well. it is easy enough to use but time consuming to input everything. Also it will not display a map, just arrows showing you where to go in the trip computer located in the gauge cluster and directions like turn right ahead. And you may need to get your cd updated to show newer roads (which is not cheap).

Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input on the NAV. I did find one about $2k cheaper with about the same amount of miles. No 6 disc cd changer or NAV though. It also needs the timing belt redone which I am understanding can range from $600-$900 depending on the shop.

The dealer with the more expensive oneis in the process of becoming a Revo rep as well and said he'd install a chip for me at cost which I guess is avery smallfraction of the retail...So that in conjunction with the fact it's got brand new tires on it and he let me take it out all day today makes me think I'll go with him. Thanks for all your input and I look forward to learning alot here.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Did you double check in that little cubby next tot eh rear seat on the drivers side? (opposite the firstaid kit) You may have a CD changer in there. However, even if you don't it's not that big of a deal. I myself diconnected mine to hook up my iPod tothe system a day after buying it.

The timing belt can run more than that. Average price here in Denver, CO is $1300-$1400. I found one place that would do it for as little as $950 after I had already gotten it done. I would suggest call around and ask other car enthusiasts if they know of any good euro tuning shops in your area. Make sure the job includes getting the tensioners replaced (it is really the major issue why timing belts fail early) and if you can get a metal prop water pump. This will have to be aftermarket as I guess Audi still manfuactures the plastics ones.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Vorais

And you may need to get your cd updated to show newer roads (which is not cheap).
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are no more updates for the NAVI-D since it takes CDs and the newer ones use DVDs and those are still updated I believe.

The Nav CD player is behind the passenger seat. Thought I was missing a disk until I discovered it there lol. I was putting NAV cds in the single disk player for a while duh because the dumb NAV book doesn't even explain that.

I really want to take it on trip to really evaluate it because I was really impressed with the quality if the instructions when the data was good. Once I thought it was going to take me a longer way but looked it up on map and noticed it was shorter the way it routed it!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 PM

I think that is correct on the Audi supplied disks. However, you can purchase updated maps on aftermarket CD's for our Nav systems. I have run across tehm before. If you want the info it will take me some time to look up unless you live in the UK. Here is an example though: http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products.../audi-sat-nav/