Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Optimum shift points for the TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Optimum shift points for the TT?

My tach came in yesterday, but before I install it does anybody know what the optimum shift points for the TT are? I don't want to melt my engine shifting too high, but I want optimum performance when I need it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has already programmed their tach that can give me feedback based on their own experiences that would be great, or if there is a good article anywhere that would be great, too. I found some, but the numbers sound kind of sketchy, kind of looking for somone who has already got one and can give me feedback based on personal opinion. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Optimum shift points for the TT?

just feel for em...take a drive and find out which range pulls the best...I know exactly where my power range is for my car. Just pay extra attention to it.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. I will do that. I know that there is a debate on the best shift points, and I have felt for the shifts myself as well, I just want feedback from other people to see if they got about the same points as I did. Afterall, this forum is here to help each other out and share experiences with our cars right?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

indeed it is...the thing is, non many people seem to like to respond to much....

If I drove the TT more I'd help ya out...Perhaps I will try to look into it, cause Im bored and got nutin else to do.

http://www.audittcca.com/faq/958409061

Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. If you need any help with anything feel free to shoot me an email or PM. My specialty is stereo systems since I used to be an install tech before I got into the military. But I also did a lot of the stuff on my mustang myself including the supercharger install, engine painting, and everything else you can think of. I try to respond to as much as possible, but if I don't answer for a couple of days its because I am underway, I do try to look at the computer as much as possible between shifts at the base, though.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Cool, sounds good.

The stereo I got covered, thats what I do best, though Ive yet to tear into a TT, doubt I will, but ehh...

I will definatly hit you up though. Thanx

Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

I shift at about 6300, the power curve peaks (on Ko4 models) at around 5900-6k so shifting at 63 hundred RPMs drops you right back into the power band, i've driven alot of other sports cars, my brother's 2005 GTO included, and when i drive my car its almost like it doesnt like to wind up fast, it feels like a diesel. not saying its slow, because it's not.... it just has interesting power characteristics.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

I have noticed the exact same thing, which is why I am having a little bit of trouble feeling for the best shift points. It really has a unique feel to it, unlike most other cars I have raced and driven hard. Its almost like there is no margin for error. There is such a HUGE lag whenever you shift too early or too late. But thanks for all the help guys. I found some interesting stuff on another audi forum regarding shift points and stuff. And hey SKIN, have fun tearing into the TT. It is an absolute pain trying to run the power wire from the trunk to the battery. There are like no access holes whatsoever because everything is so crammed into that engine bay. Also, the panels have more clips holding them together than any other car I have ever worked on. Good luck.

-Justin