Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Outside Air Temp Shows High and Chip question

Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Outside Air Temp Shows High and Chip question

Newbie here. I just bought a bright RED 2001 tt Quattro Roadster (72K miles) and we love it. I have enjoyed lurking here before buying the car and have a couple of questions.

The outside air temp always reads very high especially when stopped or going slowly. Even at freeway speeds it reads high. Previous owner had dealer replace it a year ago. Later, the front end was replaced due to a crack and he thinks the sensor may have been moved or something. Anybody have an idea as to how to fix this? I really think the sensor is picking up engine heat and reading too high.

After reading a lot here, I am thinking of getting a REVO Chip from a dealer in Denver. I am not interested in racing or really maxing the car out, but was hoping the chip would help the initial start off the line especially in first gear at low RPM before the turbo kicks in. Any comments on how the Chip would help is appreciated.

Great forum for answers.. even if this old fart doesn't understand it all.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Outside Air Temp Shows High and Chip question

The sensor is probably like you think, in the wrong spot or turned that wrong direction. The chip is going to increase the psi/timing and give you a nice jump in hp and more so in tq. You want more on specific amounts, you need to go to the tuners website

Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

The Outside air sensor is mounted in a HORRIBLE spot. It's mounted right behind the bumper... against the radiator.
When you're moving... the outside air is cooling it, when you stop... the radiator is heating it up. When I installed my FMIC... I had to move mine. I didn't move it very far(mounted on top of the FMIC), but im still having the problem... just not as bad. next time I pull my bumper (maybe on lunchbreak tomorrow at work) Im gonna reroute it to a cooler place inside the bumper because it really annoys me the way it probably annoys you.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

The Outside air sensor is mounted in a HORRIBLE spot. It's mounted right behind the bumper... against the radiator.
When you're moving... the outside air is cooling it, when you stop... the radiator is heating it up. When I installed my FMIC... I had to move mine. I didn't move it very far(mounted on top of the FMIC), but im still having the problem... just not as bad. next time I pull my bumper (maybe on lunchbreak tomorrow at work) Im gonna reroute it to a cooler place inside the bumper because it really annoys me the way it probably annoys you.

ziptie it to the aluminum bumper bar.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
2nd Gear

hmm... ya know what... I think thats where it is now that you mention it. I think I put it there. I cant remember. I was thinking of putting it lower down by one of the side grilles, totally seperate from the engine compartment temps.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm make believe

I wonder if you cantaptheiat sensor instead and read it on the lcd screen. HHHmmmm