Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Question about Front Inner CV Boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Default Question about Front Inner CV Boots

My driver side inner front CV boot has split. I caught it in time but I need to know how easy it is to replace. I have a full set of triple square tools. It appears to be pretty easy to access. It looks like I can just release the boot and slide toward the outside to get access to the bolts to remove. I really just need to drop it enough to get the new boot in place, then put the joint back on.

Am I dreaming or do I need to pull the lower ball joint and tie rod ends to slide it out?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM

Wow, over 60 people read this with no response. I guess that means nobody knows.

I did this job tonight and I was dreaming. Overall it took me about 3 hours. This is how you do it.

1. You have to pull the ball joint connection, pull that little sensor arm that connects to the control arm, and pull off the sway bar connection.

2. Remove the 6 triple square bolts from the inner joint. You can do this with a long extension from just above the brake disc. Rotate it around for each bolt. Once done, I could pull it back and swing it toward the front of the car and down.

3. Remove the grease cover on the rear, a new one comes with the unit so just pound on it with a screwdriver and hammer on the lip.

4. Remove the circlip from the end of the shaft.

5. Using a puller tool, remove the CV joint from the shaft. It came off pretty easy with my flywheel puller, but I couldn't get it off without one.

6. Slide on the new boot onto the shaft first otherwise you'll never get it on there. Pull it as if you're doing it inside out to get some leverage, then right the boot and get it into place.

7. Slide the CV joint back onto the shaft as far as you can, then using a punch and hammer carefully knock it back far enough to allow the circlip to be installed.

8. Secure the boot to the CV joint.

9 Install everything and you're done. I'm sure I could do the other side in 2 hours now that I've done one. Actually I replaced my strut tower bushing in that amount of time too.

Last edited by carhopper; 09-01-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, been there. Shredded an inner boat from being too low, replaced it, shredded the replacement in a week, then realized it was because I was too low. Drivers side. Passenger side never had a problem...

Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM

My car isn't lowered, just old boots. CV joints were in very good share as far as I could tell. Just wiped them off, packed in the greast, and hopefully good to go for another 30 or 40k.