Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Smoke from exhaust

I added a quart of oil to my car and started getting oil smelling smoke from the exhaust... alot of it... for 2 days now. SO I went ahead and drained some of the oil out, and it's in the safe zone.

The thing is, that the smoke continues. DOes this mean I should let it run and burn out the oil that went into the exhaust? Or is it something else?

I'm running 18psi on a t3t4, on 225 model '02 TT.

Thanks

Damian

Old 05-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Smoke from exhaust

Was it a quart low BEFORE you you added mor oil?

Old 05-28-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: damiant

I added a quart of oil to my car and started getting oil smelling smoke from the exhaust... alot of it... for 2 days now. SO I went ahead and drained some of the oil out, and it's in the safe zone.

The thing is, that the smoke continues. DOes this mean I should let it run and burn out the oil that went into the exhaust? Or is it something else?

I'm running 18psi on a t3t4, on 225 model '02 TT.

Thanks

Damian
You either:
Put too much oil in (you can screw up the cats) or
Your turbo is going.
Sorry, I don't see a third alternative.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

It's the turbo, I found out last night. I added a quart b/c it was low... didn't realize oil was slipping through into the exhaust b/c the turbo was going. I got stopped last night by cops cause I was smoking up the entire road (thinking I just needed to run it for awhile to let it burn of any excess oil in the exhaust). So I left and drove it about 20 miles when the turbo made a weird zipping noise and stopped boosting completely.

I checked the oil again and it was almost empty. So I put in about a third of a quart and drove it home very slow. After the turbo went, the smoke stopped. ****! Back to the drawing board.

Thanks all.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to hear that. It's major $$$ to fix. How long do you own the car, what are your driving habits and did you follow instructions for forced induction engines?

Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Senior Administrator

A blown turbo is almost ALWAYS coked bearings. Yeah, 2 bad. I was kinda wishing you were too stoopid to realize you added too much oil, as opposed to the alternative...

Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Yea me too. See, I was losing oil due to the turbo being damaged, When it smoked, my first reaction was that maybe I added a little too much, but that was the case.

I got the car in the beginning of April. It had all the mods already, except the DV was a BOV, which is a bad thing for these cars. It had an oil leak, and the down pipe was hitting the firewall, which I had fixed.

I drive fast, for fun... I'm not the type to go to the races, but I like my car fast. I had 2 RX7's in the past b4 I took a break for awhile.

The previous owner did all these mods, incorrectly, couldn't find the right people, got frustrated and sold it. I'll get this fixed by next week.

Thanks Guys