Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Suction Jet Pump

Old 08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Suction Jet Pump

Hi,

My cel lit up on my 2002 tt quattro. I took it to the dealer and they say that the suction jet pump has to be replaced. They quoted over $800 for the job. Is this something that has to be replaced immediately or can it wait? My husband is somewhat handy with cars (old ones). Is this something that he can do? The dealer told me that the intake manifold will have to be removed to change it, and many hoses.

Thanks,

Zoe

Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Sponsor

Hello,

This is indeed something that can be replaced by yourself. The cost of this part is anywhere from $13 to $59 for OEM we have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Its located underneath the intake manifold in the front.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 08-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Jason. I will order one. What is the difference between the 3 that come up on the link? Should we go with the oem one? Are they different in quality? Also, should any hoses be replaced or if they look ok reuse them? And lastly, does the intake manifold have to be removed for this?

Thanks much!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoewagner
Thanks Jason. I will order one. What is the difference between the 3 that come up on the link? Should we go with the oem one? Are they different in quality? Also, should any hoses be replaced or if they look ok reuse them? And lastly, does the intake manifold have to be removed for this?

Thanks much!
Any one of those in the link I would have no problem using on my vehicle. The OE aftermarket is identical to the Genuine Audi piece it just comes direct from the manufacture with out the "Genuine Audi" branding.

The MTC is an aftermarket product - they have been in the business a long time and are one of the better manufactures for smaller pieces such as this.

For the hoses, unfortunately you wont know what needs replacing until you tear into it. The PCV hoses can become brittle and literally crumble in your hands when you touch them. Just use caution when possible. You will need new hose clamps as Audi likes to use the "one time only" clamps. You should be able to source worm style clamps at your local hardware store. Unfortunately I do not know the size or I would link you to them on our site.

The manifold does not need to be removed. You can access it by moving some of the pipes and wiring out of the way up front. The two allen screws on the front should be removed and a few others that hold brackets down. Once you get those removed you'll have more room to work.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason

Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Jason. We just ordered one. One more thing, can I drive the car until we change the part? It seems to run just fine. Also will the cel go out by itself or will it have to be reset?

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoewagner
Thanks Jason. We just ordered one. One more thing, can I drive the car until we change the part? It seems to run just fine. Also will the cel go out by itself or will it have to be reset?

Thanks for the help!
It should be fine to drive as long as its not misfiring or running poorly. The check engine light could go off but there could also be other unrelated issues that are keeping the light on.

I would suggest having the vehicle scanned for codes and Google them once you have them to see if they are related to the suction jet pump.

It might be a good idea to grab a scanner as well. They are relatively inexpensive and can reset, clear, and read codes. We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Best,

Jason

Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

Update: My husband checked my gas filler cap, cleaned it up re put it on and the cel light went out after driving to work. He says he will still swap out the pump part (he says it's not bad to get to after moving some stuff like Jason recommended to do) anyway as it should get here by Friday. My question is why would the dealer insist that the pump was why the light came on, and the intake had to come off and it would be $800+ to fix? Wouldn't it throw a different code for that? Anyway we'll see if the light stays off. Probably going to get the scanner as I don't trust the dealer to diagnose the car. Again, thanks Jason for the tips on getting to that part. My husband was ready to remove the intake like the dealer said was required to do.

Zoe

Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Sponsor

Zoe,

There's a reason why many forum members refer to the dealership as the "stealership" usually anytime you need to get a simple job done they some how figure out a way to make it cost hundreds of dollars.

The reason they mentioned the pump is because dealerships have a computer program than can read ECU diagnostic codes. These are different than check engine light codes. Check engine light codes only have to do with emissions. Diagnostic codes are what dealerships use to figure out why a car isn't running correctly. Our V-checker Pro actually allows these codes where as a normal scanner only reads check engine codes.

All the more reason why picking up one of these is a must have for Audi owners.

I hope this helps!

Jason