Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Turbo Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbo Gaskets

Hey guys, I thought I'd share my experience with some turbo gaskets and share my potentially awesome find. I have not recieved these gaskets yet, but the multi-layer steel gasket seems like it would be great. The other gaskets seem like they'd be fine too, and the whole set is like $6 shipped. THAT'S AWESOME (potentially). I'll have to let you guys know how they work out.

Stay away from the carbon-aluminum sandwhich gaskets. They're a dimpled aluminum top/bottom with a carbon middle like these. Anyhow, I blew it out in like 2 days. I kept upping the boost and at about 18 psi I went over a bump and all of a sudden had an exhaust leak. Blew the side right out... so beware.

The stainless ones with the bump in them that you crush seem to work. That's the one I ran for the longest time. I took it off and it looked like it had hot spots in it but sealed just fine. But I have seen a video saying that if you get the cheap ones they'll blow out too.

Many people say the best gasket though is no gasket. Get the manifold and turbo flange surfaced and it should seal. BUT I already have my exhaust manifold on there and it is beyond a PITA to get off so that's not for me. They also say to maybe put a bit of high temp sealant on it, but I have used the copper RTV a few times for exhaust and it is always just dust when you take it apart so I don't know about all of that. I've also heard that wood stove cement will work and not be dust but that sounds like a bad idea. What if you have to take it back off? I've never used it but "cement" to me says that it isn't going to give up nicely if you take it off.

All in all, I feel the multi-layer steel gasket would be the best way to go considering my stainless manifold and my iron turbine flange is goingto expand at different rates with heat. I feel that the multi-layer gasket would compensate for that the best. Let me know your thoughts and experience with this stuff. I just thought it would be a good read for someone searching about them.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear

Skip the RTV. You need a few things that I haven't heard you mention. First of all you need some Resbond. It's a red threadlocker that can tolerate the super high heat. Regular loctite turns to a lubricant at around 400f. Nordlocks would also help.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

So, that MLS gasket set I bought is pretty awesome. I recommend it.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Need more info: where did you order it? Part number? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

It's one of the "these" links, but in case the listing goes away it's seller authentic-boosting and it's a kinugawa set. But that t3 gasket weighs a ton. Feels quality. Not that that's saying anything but it makes me feel tingly and puppies and rainbows and all that when I pick it up. It's not on yet actually... I'll update for sure if blows out or something but I really don't see it happening.

another link

Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't get that at first.