B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98 A4 2.8 Heater Core Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default 98 A4 2.8 Heater Core Question...

Hey guys, just a question, that I've probably already answered to myself..hehe....

New thermostat, timing belt, water pump etc... heat maxes out at about 80 degrees....and won't get any hotter...so in winter here in Colorado, it's COLD!!!I have NO leaks inside car OR outside, NO antifreeze leak inside or OUT!! But heat does NOT get hot....or warm really....

I have cleaned it out with some tips from the forums here...still the same....I'm 99% sure it's the heater core...I'm tempted to blow it out with an air compressor, however, I think heater cores are rated at 16psi and my compressor is at 150PSI, SOOOO, I don't want to trust my trigger finger on that one and blow it up.....

Do you guys think it's the heater core? DUH? Should I just get one and spend the 8 hours removing/installing it? OR does anyone out there have had the same problem and have a fix?

Thanks guys....

Marky

BTW, I'm at 275k miles now... :-)

Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Administrator

I take it you've bled it for hours and hours (it can require that). If you have done that and have tried the hot water and CLR treatment, then yeah you'll have to replace it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear
Talking

Thanks DEVIL, yeah, I've bled to death, CLR more than once and all..........I figured as much.....but hey, thought I'd ask.....

Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Did you do the CLR in boiling water and squeezing it back and forth with 2L soda bottles?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear

just putting up for reference here's a diy on how to change the core

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int54.shtml

i held out and never changed my heater core on my audi but if you plan on keeping the car for more years to come change the core it will be the biggest pain in the *** just because of labor but so worth it once your done

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I take it you've bled it for hours and hours (it can require that).
I've burped mine, but not for hours. I thought the correct procedure was to take off the reservoir cap, leave the heat temp on max, and let the car run for about 15 minutes.

Is there more to it than that?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

DEVIL, I used CLR with 2 2 liter bottles, however, it wasn't boiling water it was more warmish.....I'm guessing you're going to say that the boiling water makes a HUGE difference huh?

OR, should I maybe try an airgun and blow it out and hope I don't blow it up with too many PSIs?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

I'm gonna pick your guys' brains a little more. I haven't driven it in awhile, so I just went out, fired it up, let it warm up fully (heat has been spotty over 2 timing belt changes, thermos and waterpumps), but now, it's like when it's on HI heat, the AC is blowing?? I have NO heat whatsoever...when looking at the engine and the two hoses on the core, the one on the right is the IN if I remember correctly (which has hot water flowing into it, the one on the left is the OUT, which has some trickle coming out of it, but hose is a little less warm than the right one, but, honestly, it feels like the AC is on? And to think I've helped people with this before...my MAIN concern is, EVERY OTHER Audi mechanic I've talked to and EVERY forum I've talked to, when a heater core is BAD, it leaks or smells like coolant in the car....AND the defrost won't work..however, I SMELL NO coolant, have NO LEAKS in the car or outside, NO codes on my VAG COM AND the defrost actually works without fogging up the windows??

IF I answered this question for other people, I would say definately that it was the heater core...however, like I said, it's like the AC is on...and I just remembered, the heat STOPPED working from one day to the next.....about 3 years ago.....

COULD it be the climate control module in the dash?? OR should I start with the heater core?

Thanks fellow AUDI-ers,for putting up with my infinate stubborness....

Marky

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

wat did u do ???i hav same problem

Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

what is clr treatment

Quick Reply: 98 A4 2.8 Heater Core Question...