B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98 A4 Quattro Airbag question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear
Default 98 A4 Quattro Airbag question....

I have a driver's SIDE & a passenger SIDE side intermittent high capacity AIRBAG code....I've heard that the connectors/plugs under the seats go bad...is this accurate? Anyone had any other issues or EZ fixes for this?

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Is that code accompanied by a CEL or Airbag light?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

Airbag light is on continously, but the codes both say intermittent for both sides

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Yeah, sounds like the connector under your seat. Go to the member's list link at the top of the page, search for ImTheDevil, in his photo album is a picture of the offending connector and what you need to do to fix it. The airbag light will stay on after the fix until you clear it with VagCom.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks Brotha....I'm assuming passenger side is almost the same? :-) I'll take a look at it tomorrow......

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Here's a useful writeup that I followed:
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...-warning-light

Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

First I want to thank EVERYONE who helped me out...I finally got off of my lazy A$$ and actually bypassed the plugs on the airbag light-ALL the codes I HAD BEFORE ARE gone (THANK YOU)...EXCEPT (hahahahahahaha) NOW, I have a NEW intermittent one I didn't have before (hahahahahahahahaha)....it's the 01217 Driver's Side Side airbag resistance too high etc... Is there a different wire for that one? I read somewhere that it's a black wire with yellow at the tip under the seat? Is this correct? I've cleared and cleared codes, the 01217 keeps coming back...LMAO....I will KILL this BEAST Eventually... ;-)

Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, so obviously something isn't right. ImtheDevil's photo matches my seat perfectly underneah, that's the plug I bypassed and it turned OFF all the other fault codes, except I got the NEW one which is the side ONE (01217) I DIDN'T have before??

HOWEVER, if I follow the write up suggested by MetalMan...I have had the seat out and can not for the life of me find that 4 wire plug, yellow, under my seat with the 3 red white and blue wires?? I also pulled the rocker panel, mind you, I have a left hand drive, and I have NO wires that are NOT bundled that even match that, all my plugs are 6 prong, or two prong.......??

I did however notice, that WITH the two wires that ImTheDevil's photo matches, a red wire follows (is attached) to the other two (the two main airbag wires are encased in plastic molding), to a 6 prong plug in the rocker panel that has 4 wires in it??????

So, now, I'm a little lost again....is that RED wire the Side airbag wire on driver's side? It has a plug under the seat but is NOT bundled with the other two (the red wire plug is further back under the seat AND only has that wire in it)??

LMAO again...ain't it fun?? Any help greatly appreciated......

Marky

Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

So, I've replaced EVERY plug for the 01217 airbag light on driver's side side airbag, still same code. Just FYI my plugs look different, they are only two wire (OEM ones). I tested ohm levels FROM seat to rocker panels on both sides and here's what I got:

Driver's side reads .2204 ohms
Passenger side reads .2195 ohms

To me, that's aceptable thats a .0009 ohm difference.

So, then I plugged plugs back in and read oms off the plugs on both sides just for kicks and here's what I got:

Driver's side: 3.2 ohms
Passenger side: 2.2 ohms

And I went WTF??? A HUGE 1 ohm difference??

So, I ran wires with good plugs and correct gauge and plugged the passenger side airbag into the rocker panel of the driver's side, and the driver's side into the passenger side (basically I switched airbags), fault code was STILL the same, 01217 Driver's side airbag resistance too high? The fault code stayed on the same side???

My conclusion at this point is that it's the module that's crapping out....Anyone out there agree with me?

If I do buy a USED module, I DO have to reprogram it correct?
\
Thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

Make sure you dont resistance test the airbag itself, you can set them off that way. If you are absolutely certain all of the wiring, and connectors are in perfect shape, and you did swap the airbags, my bet would be on the module then, but I have never ever heard of one giving an issue like this before. And I mean absoultely certain the wiring is OK, because those connectors are a big PITA and often cause problems. There is more than one revision of airbag modules, you should try to find the same one if you can, it may or may not have to be coded depending on where it came from. BTW after you swapped the airbags to opposite sides, you did reset the codes right?

Last edited by Dallas09; 09-03-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 A4 Quattro Airbag question....