B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

99' a4 Quatro 1.8t power window issues

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default 99' a4 Quatro 1.8t power window issues

Hello,
I have a 99' A4 and have been having issues with my power windows. They will not roll down using any of the door switches. When the issue first started it was intermittent. The lights on the switch (on all doors) would go out and the switch would not respond.

Now it is not responding at all (no light in the switches either). I have opened the drivers door panel and checked for loose wire harnesses & damaged wires but found no issues. I have also checked the fuses and verified I cannot roll them down with the key either.

At this point I am at a loss and don't know the next direction to look. Any ideas? (Or anybody else have and solve this issue? )

Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear

Check the ground cable in the rubber grommet between the door and the frame. And check ALL those wires in there carefully.

Do the OTHER windows in the car go down with their OWN switches? Meaning, if you have ignition on and are in the back seat, can you roll that window down with that door switch? or when sitting in the passenger seat, can you roll that window down with it's own switch?

It sounds like it started out as intermittent and then just stopped, so it's either your window regulator if NONE of the windows work off the driver's switch, or some loose wires....or.....

Does your sunroof still work? Door Locks? Do you have a key FOB and does it work? Do the lights for the window switches on the OTHER door switches light up and work?

You said the windows don't go DOWN with the key, but will they go up if you hold the key to the right while locking it?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
Check the ground cable in the rubber grommet between the door and the frame. And check ALL those wires in there carefully.

Do the OTHER windows in the car go down with their OWN switches? Meaning, if you have ignition on and are in the back seat, can you roll that window down with that door switch? or when sitting in the passenger seat, can you roll that window down with it's own switch?

It sounds like it started out as intermittent and then just stopped, so it's either your window regulator if NONE of the windows work off the driver's switch, or some loose wires....or.....

Does your sunroof still work? Door Locks? Do you have a key FOB and does it work? Do the lights for the window switches on the OTHER door switches light up and work?

You said the windows don't go DOWN with the key, but will they go up if you hold the key to the right while locking it?

I will check the ground cable this evening when I get home from work. As for the other switches, they all died when the driver side stopped working.

I haven't been able to try rolling the windows up with the key (due to not being able to roll them down) but I know the key will not roll them down either.

Sun roof works but has some mechanical damage (semi blew out a tire and I caught it.. )

I have a key fob for the car but have been unsuccessful at pairing it. Both myself as well as my local audi dealer have tried. They said the pairing issue may be caused by the lo jack that was installed in the car.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

If your sunroof works, then I'd get a volt meter and check everything on your driver's window switch and look at it very carefully including the wires.

If it got wet (it rained in with the window down etc...), or the wires in the rubber boot between the door and the frame got pinched or broken - I would start with the switch and go from there, but before buying one, look at it and look for 'rust', corrosion etc....use your volt meter to check the switches and check for power.

It could be only the driver's side regulator as well causing all the others not to work. Now, since you said it was intermittent and then went out, you have no lights on the doors, I'm going to say again - start with the switch and the wires in the driver's side door. Intermittent either means something finally gave out (switch) or a wire finally got pinched enough...look carefully.

If your sunroof does work, I don't think it's your comfort control module (if you have one and it got wet, a lot of things won't work).. However, if you have a VAG scanner, scan it for codes....that would help you rule out a few things.

Does your dome light work correctly? Does it come on when the doors are open, go off when they are shut?

Are other things not working? Or is everything else pretty much working? windshield wipers, lights, etc..? Could be your ignition switch as well, but you'd have more things not working at that point.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

I know this thread is old but i just bought one of these cars and im having the issues you described (windows, sunroof, locks not working and dome light was staying on with the car door shut) so if i can get in contact with you maybe you can help me solve it?