B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 clutch to s4 or rs4 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: a4 clutch to s4 or rs4 clutch?

ya but i want to plan for the worst case scenario lol. ty for the help man. anyways how was tuesday? i nvr called you lol, been so caught up with hw

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
3rd Gear

Why the stg2 clutch in the 2.8? You gonna surprise us soon with something going on under that hood this summer? Lemme know which clutch you go with and how you like it... I got almost 160k on the original clutch and have got to be due for a new clutch sometime soon.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 PM
5th Gear

hah no surprises. no money no funny you kno lol. i just sorta want something i can beat on for a couple more years till i graduate from college. then i'll surprise you all with something haha. this summer is going to be a tune up and preping the car for highway travel. i think i'm going to go with a southbend though, then seem to have a super reputation on here but i'm also looking on specclutch.com they seem to be pretty good too. only thing i'm worried about is if i need a new flywheel or if i resurface it and avoid paying over 600 bux for one. you have a 1.8 and the clutch is diff. if you look on ebay, someone posted a stage 2 AWE clutch kit for only 600 bux when i checked yesterday.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear

Last time I bought a clutch before I needed it, it was for my VW...and that clutch in the car ended up lasting another 70K miles (after I thougth I smoked it) until the 1.8 L engine got a severe 4 cylinder rod knock at 250k miles - then junked the car.I ended up selling that new clutch in theboxon Ebay 3 years afterwards. Really don't want a repeat. I'll check out that ebay one tho, thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 PM

This might be a dumb question, but i did some researching before this post. I always thought that the way you tell if a clutch is going bad is when you press to shift, the rpm's stay high and also that the gears grind. With my search i found that since A4's have a hard flywheel, thats the reason for grinding??? Also is it true that the rpms staying a little high on A4 in normal?? If so how does one tell if the clutch is going bad? My clutch does sometime get hard and sometime soft. I dont know if the very cold weather has anything to do with it... Thanks for your help, and sorry for hijacking your thread hiwords...

Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
5th Gear

it's cool man. basically compare the pedal feel with when you first got the car. what do you mean by having to push to shift though? like sloppy shifting? well our cars are known for that unless you get better mounts and a tranny flush. and ya it takes forever to shift between gears because our flywheel weighs a ton lol. the only time our cars can shift fst semi properly is when it's cold. if your clutch is getting hard sometimes and soft at other times you might have air in the slave cylinder.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 PM

hmmmm when i took the car to the dealer for TB replacement and other work, he said my clutch was going bad. Firstly i dont believe what they say secondly, its only been a year since i have had the car and first winter. Its just that going in second is where i get most of my grinding and i guess thats normal. Plus i only have 68K miles on my car, car a clutch go that bad?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: hiwords
someone posted a stage 2 AWE clutch kit for only 600 bux when i checked yesterday.
AWE are southbend clutches. and you can get a stage 2 for 400 from sb. even cheaper than that if you use the connect

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 PM
5th Gear

hmm you shouldn't be grinding. try a tranny flush and fill. usually a clutch with 68kwouldn't go yet but it could if the car was always getting beat on. i've got 116,xxx on my original clutch and it's barely starting to go but it probably will by spring because i do ALOT of city driving lol. do you have a friend who is prety good with cars and can drive yours to see how it is?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Hiwords: how was tuesday? i nvr called you lol, been so caught up with hw
Had some family things come up, so I've put it off until tomorrow. I'm gonna meet Gerry at his house tomorrow morning and we're installing the kit then. Hoped to do it last night, but my situation wasn't resolved and I wasn't able to, so tomorrow's the day.

Quick Reply: a4 clutch to s4 or rs4 clutch?