B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

After martket Accessory Belt Tensioner or OEM version?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default After martket Accessory Belt Tensioner or OEM version?

I am wondering if anyone has installed an after market Accessory Belt Tensioner from anywhere and have had no issues?

I want to advice on using certain after market parts, opposed to OEM to save a lot of money.

The difference in price between the after market Accessory Belt Tensioner is huge: $34.95 for the one below and the Audi OEM version is $187.19

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...33D/ES2090862/

I also have the same question about the engine and transmission mounts, big price difference:

After market engine mount $34.95 Left mount
After market $21.95 for the Right mount

OEM Left engine mount $134.11

OEM Right engine mount $151.61

After market transmission mounts $23.95 priced each as there isn't a left or right, transmission mount

OEM transmission mount $82.61

After market snub mount $6.95

OEM snub mount $17.24

Have anyone had any problems, ordering and installing after market parts, opposed to OEM?

Please don't be biased on always buying Audi OEM parts, i want an honest opinion.

Last edited by morpheous; 09-04-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM

My '98 A4 is running mostly aftermarket parts (including accessory belt tensioner and engine/trans mounts), particular brand for lots of my parts is Meyle. Haven't had any problems with them

Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

Sometimes OEM parts just aren't feasible, what you posted is a perfect example. You just have to pay attention to the brand; MTC is garbage, Meyle is decent but they seem to be slowly moving towards a lower price point so I don't know what to think. For the tensioner I would go with Meyle because of the price, but if you're willing to spend twice that definitely go with FEQ or SKF.

For mounts I like to go with Febi or Lemfoerder, they're generally the 2 best choices for anything made of rubber.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

This is the feedback i was looking for!

Thanks fellas, I'll go with the after market parts from the manufacturers you suggested. ^_^

Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
This is the feedback i was looking for!

Thanks fellas, I'll go with the after market parts from the manufacturers you suggested. ^_^
I just got finished with both tensioners and all belts on my 1.8l and I got the parts from ECS Tuning. They seemed fine and of course they work well.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:28 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I just got finished with both tensioners and all belts on my 1.8l and I got the parts from ECS Tuning. They seemed fine and of course they work well.
when you say, "both" which tensioners are you reffering too? and which brands did you buy for the tentioners and belts?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

Look at the difference in price that totaled for each site:

genuinevwaudiparts.com

Sub Total: $638.04
Estimated Shipping: $60.61
Total: $698.65

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Sub Total: 336.75
Shipping and Handling: 12.29
Total: $349.04

Now you have to take into account, these prices are OEM compared to aftermarket. this is why the price difference is so wide.

The majority of the after market parts i chose were Meyle

Its also important to note, that buying OEM Audi parts from genuineaudiparts.com are cheaper, than buying OEM Audi parts from ecstuning.com. So if you ever want to go OEM, always buy from genuineaudiparts.com and never from www.ecstuning.com, if you don't want to get raped.

I am buying just two items from genuineaudiparts.com:

OEM Catalog MSRP Price Your Price
COVER $29.00 $21.58 <---leather bra for hood and lower front end
Collision Catalog - 2001 - Audi - A4 QUATTRO
MSRP Price Your Price
engine, engine / transaxle, air intake, intake manifold 1.8 LITER $44.00 $27.28

Sub Total: $48.86
Estimated Shipping: $9.50
Total: $58.36

Both of these items are more expensive on ecstuning.com, that's why i am buying them on genuinevwaudiparts.com. being there are no aftermarket parts for these items.

Last edited by morpheous; 09-05-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM

I often buy my Genuine Audi parts from that site too. Sometimes they can be a bit slow to ship (probably because they're waiting on their supplier) but their prices are great and they're moderately local to me.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I often buy my Genuine Audi parts from that site too. Sometimes they can be a bit slow to ship (probably because they're waiting on their supplier) but their prices are great and they're moderately local to me.
I called them over the phone once and they said they were an actually an Audi dealership.

So i am confused as to why they have to wait for a supplier.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by morpheous
I called them over the phone once and they said they were an actually an Audi dealership.

So i am confused as to why they have to wait for a supplier.
Dealerships don't always have every single part in stock. There's probably some warehouse they can order parts from, which is most likely the case with them.

Quick Reply: After martket Accessory Belt Tensioner or OEM version?