B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi Symphony will not turn on with ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Symphony will not turn on with ignition

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Audi A4 with a Symphony II radio. I was driving the other day listening to the radio parked the car, came back after work and when i turned the car back on the radio never came on. I manually turned the radio on and it was working just fine. I didn't think much of it until i got home, shut the ignition off and the radio stayed on (had to manually shut the radio off). The back lighting of the radio doesn't seem to work anymore and the RDS is not being displayed on the instrument cluster. I have searched for the issue and have found a few threads showing this same issue, most of the threads mention removing power from the radio (disconnecting the battery or fuse). I have left the power off for well over 10-15 minutes to drain the capacitor, but still no luck. I pulled the radio out and inspected the cabling which has no kinks or breaks in them. I am out of ideas, does anyone know what might be wrong with it? I'm thinking the radio might have just failed, but why would it work when you manually turn the radio on and off?

Old 05-09-2018, 10:21 AM
2nd Gear

You're in the wrong forum. You'll get more help in the B6 forum.....but I did just happen to do a system in a '03 B6 A4 last week, so you might be in luck.

1. Check the fuse.
2. Check the amp (right rear of trunk, behind upper carpet).
3. Your HU has some weird F**ing wire that plugs into the back of it (similar to the way the antenna attaches). That seems to control a lot of functionality. You'll have to pull th HU to check that.

Those 3 things should be a good start. You also have to consider the HU may be bad, because your car doesn't have a dedicated accessory wire, so you can rule that out right now.

Try the B6 forum. If you can't get any help there and the above doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to help you troubleshoot further.

G/L