General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'99 a6 Audi Symphony Radio Problem~Same radio as an A4 Symphony?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
1st Gear
Default '99 a6 Audi Symphony Radio Problem~Same radio as an A4 Symphony?

Hello,

I've never posted before, but after searching I still couldn't find the answer to my question.

My 1999 A6 Quattro has a Symphony radio w/a 6 Disc changer in the trunk. My husband disconnected the battery and we couldn't reset the radio- we don't have the code as we bought the car used (didn't come w/the books).

My husband tried a few codes and locked it up and now it displayed SAFE solidly. We took it to the Audi dealer to have a recall done and wanted to pay them to reset the radio at the same time-($45 to do this).

They said they couldn't get the radio to work w/the code after working on it for 1 hr, and wanted to install a reman radio. They said that sometimes the code just doesn't work for some reason. They didn't charge us because they couldn't fix it, but didn't give us our code either so that maybe we could try.

The radio was working fine before disconnecting the battery and I don't get why they couldn't get it to work w/the factory code. I'm almost positive it is the original radio in the car. My husband says the dealership should know what they're doing and that we just need to get a new radio.

Two questions:
  • 1) Has anyone heard of the code not working or a dealership not able to get the radio out of SAFE mode?
  • 2) I found a Symphony from an A4 that looks the same~will this work on my A6 w/the 6-Disc changer in the trunk? From searching around it looks like they have different part numbers but I can't tell what's different if anything.
Please help! Thank you!
Anne