B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

bad coil pack? or bad spark plug connector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Default bad coil pack? or bad spark plug connector?

Recently started to get some really bad stumbling from my engine. My CEL popped on and read a cylinder 4 misfire on the vag-com. I replaced my plugs and she ran fine for about a week until the stumbling slowly returned and eventually got bad enough again to set off the CEL. Got it tested again, Cylinder 4 misfire again so I know it's probably my coil pack. However, when I pulled the cylinder 4 coil pack originally I noticed that the spark plug connector was in bad shape at the bottom where the o-ring piece seals around the plug. Like 1/2 to 2/3 of it is broken off. I'm assuming this is my problem because the engine seems to go back to normal temporarily and the CEL cuts back off everytime I pull out the pack and re-set/re-torque it. I just pulled out the plug and everything looks normal (no fouling, gap still at .32, etc). It's obviously a problem with the coil pack, but based on the pattern of the problem getting better everytime I re-set/re-torque the packs and slowly going back to running rough, does this sound like a connector problem? Or is this behavior typical of a coil pack going bad as well? Also, I'd like to swap spark plug connectors with another coil pack to know for sure, but they didn't just pop off when I tried to remove them. Is there some trick to getting them off of the coils, or do I just need to pull harder. I figured I'd ask, and risk sounding stupid, rather than risk breaking it if there is some sort of trick. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.