B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Coil Pack Melted Spark Plug! Unable to Remove Plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Coil Pack Melted Spark Plug! Unable to Remove Plug

I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T FWD CVT. I'll give you a bit of background, but if you want to just skip to the "short story" just scroll down.

My valve cover gasket was leaking, so a few weeks ago I swapped it out. There was a moderate amount of oil sitting on top of all of the plugs as a result of the leaking gasket, so when I had everything together I pulled each of the plugs so the oil could get into the combustion chamber and be evacuated -- really the only option to get rid of the oil, and it wasn't a LARGE amount, so I figured it would do minimal damage if anything.

Anyway, when I pulled the coil pack in the very front (#1? #4?) I noticed it was broken. I don't know if me removing it caused damage, or if it was already shot. I always try to be careful when removing them, and have done it several times before. But, this one was somewhat bent at the bottom and it would not sit back on the plug correctly and would not fit into place like all of the others when I went to put it back together.

A couple of years ago I had two coil packs go at almost the same time, so I replaced all 4. I kept the two remaining "good" ones at that time in my trunk as spares. Although used, if I needed them at least I would have them.

Since the one I removed a couple of weeks ago was damaged, I pulled one of the spares out of my trunk and threw it into place. All seemed to be okay.

Last weekend I was replacing my fuel filter, and decided to replace the plugs too as it had been a while (50k miles). I was having rough idle, the noise that was symptomatic of badly needing to replace the fuel filter, and a code related to fuel trim. I figured the idle problem was related to the fuel filter.

Changing the fuel filter did help quite a bit, and the code cleared and hasn't returned. However, I still am having rough idle and mild surging at idle. When I went to change the spark plugs, I removed all of the coil packs and went to remove the first plug (the one in the front). In doing so, I realized that my socket was not working. It just spins. The same socket that removed the other plugs does not work on this particular plug.

(short story)
Upon grabbing a light and closely inspecting, I can see burn marks on the plug and I can see that the outside metal shape that the socket grabs on to has melted away -- the plug is now round.

The only thing I can figure is that my coil pack -- either the damaged one, or the good (?) one that I had as a spare -- has MELTED my spark plug.

So, I have a spark plug stuck in my engine. What the crap am I going to do?!

-Chris

Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Anyone? Really at a loss as to what to do here.

-Chris

Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM
4th Gear

so nothing will make the plug budge? different size sockets nothing. Can u take apic so we can see what happened here.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

take the car to a machine shop... they'll get it out