B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bamboo Time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear

still rocking the b5, so ill go ahead and update this with what ive done since the last update

9/2/2015

car has been in the garage for over a month now, trans out for about 2 weeks but i think it will be coming back together this weekend. Have a ton of parts sitting in the trunk and all over the garage. Waiting for some final parts to come int (thursday/friday) then we can begin to reassemble.

problem i was having: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ting-all-gears
solution: replace every last thing in hopes that it all works in the end.

while the car is down i pulled off the bumpers and began sanding and prepping for new paint, front bumper already had shaved washer caps but im going to mould the filler plat into the bumper as well.
rear bumper will be a surprise (if it works that is). if it doesnt work well it will at least have new paint.
have a euro (96) trunk that i sanded down as well and will be painted with the bumpers.

what ive done or will do:
Full LED kit so replaced all the lights in the interior and the trunk lid
replacing fuel filter
replacing driveshaft center support (still stuck on this)
replacing trans mounts while its out
Replacing my lwfw friction pad
replacinf my 1yr old rs4 clutch kit with a new rs4 kit
replacing master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder
replacing diverter valves
replacing ac pressure sensor
sensors to bypass brake pad warning light
washer fluid pump and tank
new bride vios 3 seats (all black), planted side mounts and planted floor mount
installed a cool rear window sun shade that i mounted under the rear deck lid

other stuff i dont remember, once its running again ill be able to get some recent pictures. have a car show on the sept 20 so thats the date im shooting to have it all done by.
car (should) be running this weekend, paint probably next week along with interior reassemble

9/18/2015

well as many of you know my car has been in pieces and down for about a month and a half. yesterday i put the first 50miles on the new clutch and am in the break in process. There is a thread somewhere in the chatterbox section about some strange transmission issues i was having, which i did not encounter yesterday.

process:
this was the first time i dropped the transmission and i had no idea what i was getting into or what i was even looking for. I first replace the clutch master and slave cylinder neither of which fixed my issue. this meant that something was wrong with the clutch (rs4, lwfw, that were a year old with no more than 10k miles). a friend came over to help me drop the trans and it went by pretty quick, we had the transmission out of the car within 3 hrs.

once the trans mission was off we had to look for possible things that were wrong, first off the "teeth" on the pressure plate were very once sided (half were pressed in while the rest were fully extended out ward. hard to explain but if you were laying under the car and looking up rather then having all the teeth be even like --- it was more like this / , one side was pressed while the other was not.

this was the first of a few things we saw wrong, next was the clutch for these cars are suppose to have a long pivot point that sits on one side fork and just pivots. My pivot was replaced at some point with a home made rounded bolt pivot that was very worn and was not centered. ( i believe this to be the reason the pressure plate was one sided. the slave was pushing the pivot but due to it not being centered it would push more on side and would not allow the clutch to fully release when trying to shift)

Ordered:
while it was all out i figured id replace the clutch again with a new rs4 kit and get my fw resurfaced. no one local was willing to resurface my flywheel so i ended up just buying a new friction disk and replaceing the one on my fw. also ordered a new fuel filter, center drive shaft bearing (took a whole day just to swap this), at this time i also began shaving the front bumper, sanding a euro trunk i had sitting around and sanding the rear bumper. all three still have to be painted but they should be done some time this coming week. Also have some interior bits (bucket seats, rear window sun shade)

whyd it take so long:
I had no idea what i was looking for or doing, we first thought the issue was hydraulic or pressure related, but turned out to be mechanical and i was trying to avoid dropping the tranmission at all cost. and also took time to get parts in. made multiple small orders of stuff i figured i should reaplce while the car was down, heater core lines, missing bolts, sensors, 02 spacers and things of that sort.

Learned:
how to drop a transmisison, it was a lot harder getting it back in the car than it was to remove it, especially with only having the car on 4 jack stands. got alot of small stuff done and working on getting ome bigger stuff done.

left to do:
put my interior back together,i also have some bucket seats going in pretty soon (only the driver seat is in right now). paint bumpers and trunk, get exhaust back on (driving the car on downpipes is fun but it is so loud haha)

Picture from the whole process, have more but il post those later after i get the bumpers back from paint

untitled.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-5.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-7.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-9.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-19.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-22.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-3.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-2-2.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

How she sits at this point in time

untitled-8.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-3-2.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-4-2.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-5-3.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

10/26/2015

car is all back together, bumpers are freshly painted as is the euro trunk and roof spoiler.
the rear bumper consist of 3 pieces that were all moulded together to replicate a euro bumper. Turned out awesome, but i have sooo much time into it with fiberglass, bondo sanding, priming, painting not like the resullts so back to sanding and painting again.

picture a friend took on saturday as we prepared for a show.

the car is daz tuned now, no longer on revo tune. driving back from the show crank position sensor (connection) fell of the clip some how and melted on the manifold. so the car no longer starts. have anew sensor ready just havent done installed it yet. Welding my exhaust up this week to hopefully get it back in the car soon. Need to track down a coolant leak that started a week or so as well.

very pleased with how the car currently looks and have some plans for spring time. pretty sure this car wont see winter but still dont know.

some more pictures from the show on saturday that some one else took of m car.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear

3/06/2016

its been a little while since ive updated this.

Exterior-
--all red taillights

Interior-
--wood grain trim
--wood grain euro wheel
--card holder (replace cup holder)
--compass mirror from an allroad
--euro knee bolster

other-
Straight pipe Dual 2.5
chrome powder coated valve covers
chrome powder coated intake manifold

some pictures- Oldest to most recent

untitled-4.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-9.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-15.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-17.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-6.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

Ran my 17 avus wheels for about a month then picked up 3Pc OZ wheels for summer so sewer caps are now winter wheels

untitled-2.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-3.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-7.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-11.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-14.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-4.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Made a short video last night for fun and this is the result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtP0QQZIU0

this brings us up to the current state

5/08/2016

well today was the first show of the season. my new wheels are finally on the car also installed 14mm to 12mm studs so that i can run 5x114.3 wheels eventually. rain trays have been cut as well, working on getting them boxed in.

Wheels
-OZ ABT A4
--17x9 et31 (5mm spacer and had to shave down the calipers) - need to roll fenders flat
--17x9.5 et25--might add a spacer in the back.
Tires
-205/40 and 215/40

next steps
-new windshield being installed tomorrow (monday may 9)
-finish boxing my rain trays
-shorten ecu box for control arm clearance
-crazy idea of making my roll bar my new air tank
-potentially spacers in the rear
-sub box in the trunk
-new ecodes (ordered today, will need to transfer my hid stuff over)

untitled-6.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-10.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-12.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

untitled-14.jpg by Nathan Tello, on Flickr

another image from a different photographer

some more pictures ive been getting tagged from the show. also just came home to a brand new windshield on the car. undecided on if i will add a new banner or not. may just leave it clean

Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

Lookin good man. Car looks fresh. How's the Daz tune treating you?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear

summer 2016

This past weekend i made the 12/13hr drive out to vegas for Wuste. Was alot of fun and met some super cool people out there. Car did great on the way there considering we (roughly 30 cars from denver, caravan) held an average speed of 100mph or more for the 12hrs and i had the AC on for 9 of those hours.

thursday night i met up with a now good friend (helped me get my car ready for the show and so that i could make the drive back home) washed the car for the show from the long drive. Friday night I was picked to be in the King Of the Desert (top 50) show. so we spent a good while saturday morning cleaning the car up had some launch control battle with Christianb5s4 on the garage haha

Friday night my cluster caught fire as i was leaving the gargae to go get rolling shots on the strip. quickly pulled cluster out and got it unplugged (something happened with terminal 30). Said friend above (las vegas local) tracked down a cluster from one of his friends cars so that id have a working cluster for the long drive sunday. worked out great so now i have to find a replacement cluster for my car.

Saturday night was the main show (king of the desert cars), i ended up placing 13th over all for wuste. couldnt be happier with the result, was my first time at wuste and first time in vegas

here are some pictures from the weekend.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/tello_project/, on Flickr

Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

September 2016

changes to car ran my roof rack and cargo box for most the summer. Also go tired of being straight piped so i put a muffler back in and im glad to say i can hear my music again while driving.
Picked up a set of OZ opera wheels for winter and also picked up new faces for the new wheels ill be running next summer. will start working on those soon.

Had some issues with starting up when hot. so i replaces the FPR, coolant sensor and they changed nothing. last weekend i replaces the CPS and the car seems to start up better. (only drove it a couple times this week)

Getting rattling from the back not sure it its the rear sway bar re-enforcement brackets or maybe my exhaust? with my exhaust not being straight piped i can now hear sounds i couldnt so i have to look around and make sure there isnt anything wrong.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KgHgP1]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KgJgb5]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JuCsAc]

Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

december 2016

have some plans for the coming year. should have some noticeable changes in cosmetics and performance.
did some christmas decoration on the car.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PsWhD5]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QFU1fy]

In october of 2016 i picked up an r32 in florida. started the drive home (denver) clew the motor somewhere in georgia so had to rend a uhaul truck and trailer and trailered if home. in november i swapped a new motor in and got it running. that week i broke the clutch fork so had to pull the trans and repair that. so id been driving it for a couple weeks and drove it through part of the winter (daily)
and today i spend the day working on my r32 removed the cat since i passed emissions yesterday and installed some type m skirts. its on bc coilovers so i need to lower the front a little more

Old 08-20-2017, 11:34 PM
2nd Gear

summer 2017

not much has changed on the car. Installed new rear wheel bearings before driving the car out to vegas again this year for Wuste. Had a good time out there and met up with a lot of fellow b5ers from audizine.

couple pictures from driving out to vegas. we had to pull over and rotate the tires on the nogaro due to some camber eating up the tires. also some pictures from the wuste b5 line up. and some pictures of jbwelding the oil pan on the nogaro since we cracked it while running to the gas station to grab some snacks. (the jbweld held up great and made the drive back to denver with no issues (12hrs))

My car made top 50 again at wuste and i got a euro plate for top 5 (a4/s4/rs4).

nice rolling shots i got of the nogaro on our drive back

The vegas trip was back in early june and the car still hasnt been washed from the drive back. it just sits in the garage and gets moved out when i need to work on the r32 then just gets stored again.
Updates on the skyline if any one cares. The car was painted over the winter by me and a friend (nogaro car owner above^) and ive just been driving the car around since it my daily. installed all adjustable arms front and rear. all new speakers and amp. also has nice rebuilt oz pegasus wheels in 17x9e25 with federal 595s in the front and some cheaper tires in the rear since rwd.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XRsWY6]

[

and some bonus imola pics

Old 08-24-2017, 12:15 AM
2nd Gear

The S4 has come a long ways. What happened to the A4?

How's the switch to the R32 been? Any difficulty with driving on the right side?

This bad boy rolled past me leaving work a few years back before he sold it: Tuned 700bhp Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R | Fast Car

Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
The S4 has come a long ways. What happened to the A4?

How's the switch to the R32 been? Any difficulty with driving on the right side?

This bad boy rolled past me leaving work a few years back before he sold it: Tuned 700bhp Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R | Fast Car
s4 sits in the garage most of the time. ill drive it every 2-3weeks for the weekend.

the a4 was sold last summer. we had a really bad hail storm and the car was totaled due to the damage. i debated trying to fix it but it wouldnt have been worth it. shortly after i sold the a4 i bought the skyline as a daily.

its super nice to drive you get use to the rhd pretty quickly. at first its odd but its pretty straight forward. just need to pay attention to where in your lane you are.