B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Broken CCT for the 2nd time in less than a year.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Broken CCT for the 2nd time in less than a year.

I replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner last winter when the pads broke. Less than 5k later I'm replacing it again. There has to be something that's causing this. There's no way this should be happening so frequently. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of the bottom pad jammed against the top pad.

https://i.imgur.com/L6x7vb1.jpg

Last edited by teegale; 11-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Sponsor

Are you using a Genuine Audi replacement or an aftermarket?

Jason

Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear

from your photo, are JUST the pads broken or is it the whole tensioner?

Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Are you using a Genuine Audi replacement or an aftermarket?

Jason
I'm not sure. This is the last one I purchased (that broke).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-Audi-Volkswagen-1-8L-Turbo-DOHC-Camshaft-Adjuster-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-/221075445190?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33791f95c6
and this is the one I just purchased that I'm going to install.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I'm pretty sure the first was aftermarket and this one is OEM (or are aftermarket and OEM the same thing?). I just can't bring myself to pay 600+ for genuine Audi.

Last edited by teegale; 11-08-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
from your photo, are JUST the pads broken or is it the whole tensioner?
Just the pads. Why would the bottom pad break off after less than 5k? Are there other reasons that could cause this? The first time it happened there was a pretty big spot below the bottom pad where I believe the chain was grinding. Should I have replaced the chain too?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

OEM is supposed to be Original Equipment Manufacturer, which means they actually make the parts for the car manufacturer, aftermarket means it's cheap and mass produced off a mold.

I'm doing mine right now. I have bought parts from ebay from a company called Deutsche Parts (DP) over the years, from timing belt kits, to control arm kits etc...you can actually get these people on the phone (they answer) and the parts I get are made in germany, just FYI, I've NEVER had a problem, but, I'm sure someone has. I just ordered my tensioner from them and when it came, the tensioner tool was broken, not the tensioner, I just sent them an email and they immediately responded and are sending me a new tensioner with tool at no charge and I don't have to return the one. Although, the ONLY thing that is broken is the tensioner tool attached...which I told them...and said all I wanted was a new tool.....I have had nothing but good luck with them. Just for future reference.

I'm going to say your part was bad or cheap. I know this sounds odd, but the TENSION in the aftermarket part you bought, might have NOT been correct and worn your pads down. Since you're digging into it, put in the whole new tensioner from AZ and hopefully it will last longer. I do not think your chain has anything to do with it, unless the chain got damaged last time the pads wore out, but had that been the case, you would have bent valves I'm sure. OR, maybe the plastic the pads were made out of are cheap, but the tensioner is fine...but I doubt it. Now, IF you put this new one in, and the same thing happens in 5k, THEN, i would dig deeper....

My 2.8 has bank errors on 1-2-3 and I just pulled the cover last weekend and my tensioner is bad, it skipped a link, when I pulled the valve covers, I only had 15 links instead of the 16.....did my timing belt 10k ago, and it hadn't skipped a tooth or anything.....just waiting for my replacement part from DP.