B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

can't put fuel in my tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear
Default can't put fuel in my tank?!

like wth? i suddenly can't put fuel in my tank. the nozzle keeps clicking saying that the tank's full but my meter tells me it's almost empty which is about right for how much i've driven it since i filled it up. tried to fill at more than 1 gas station so i know it's the car. anyone know what could be wrong? dealer said it could be the gravity fuel valve or the bleed valve. either that or the entire tank needs to be changed which.... they want to charge me like 3k for so... if any of you have an idea, let me know please lol. and is the brake light supposed to come on with the abs light when the module goes bad?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 AM
4th Gear

hold the nozzle out of the tank just a tiny bit and pull back the safety switch to make the pump start spraying... ur not gonna know how much gas u have or when to stop but at least u will have gas lol

Old 09-19-2009, 04:34 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, its a steady on for both lights when your module goes bad.

Time to call ModuleMasters!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator

Try one more gas station, my girlfriend had the same problem with her 4runner and swore it was the car causing the problem. Took it to the station myself and encountered the same issue, car right? Wrong! Went to the next pump and it worked like magic. You could have just hit the two broken pumps in the area, weird stuff happens.
If it still doesn't work i would say the problem lies in the fuel filler neck, not the tank.
What you can do is remove the hose from the tank, and redirect it to a water bottle or something and start pouring some gas through it. If it doesn't just rush right through it, thats your problem.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 AM
4th Gear

Try not putting the nozzle all the way into your filler hole, and don't set the handle at full-open. Mine does this every now and then, I find that by changing the angle of the nozzle aimed into the tank, and slowing it down, the problem goes away.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

Here in Oregon, we're not allowed to pump our own gas. The state put out these fancy low emission nozzles that you have to have some PhD to operate I guess.
I'm not complaining though, except when the gas station kid scratches my car.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Here in Oregon, we're not allowed to pump our own gas. The state put out these fancy low emission nozzles that you have to have some PhD to operate I guess.
I'm not complaining though, except when the gas station kid scratches my car.
yes i know exactly what u mean, i almost got arrested because of this, some lil **** was like i have to pump it for you and i was like **** off and they called cops and **** so i left, drove back on cali border, got gas, and went back to oregon lol... its such a stupid ******* law

Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

yea my car does this i pretty much want to kill my self when i go get gas lol i look like a tard when it clicks the pump on and off like 17 times trying to fill up

Old 09-19-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

yea problem is tho when i tried to just keep clicking the nozzle when i stopped it seemed like fuel was coming out of the tank. could have been i was retarded and pulled it out while i was clicking but i don't think i'm that senseless and retarded lol. and unfortunately i gots an 01 a4 and i have the module that masters can't fix... and i can't get my car to pass inspection with the brake light.... and i can't put the title under my name from the previous owner without it.... fml..

Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by justfixitup
yea problem is tho when i tried to just keep clicking the nozzle when i stopped it seemed like fuel was coming out of the tank. could have been i was retarded and pulled it out while i was clicking but i don't think i'm that senseless and retarded lol. and unfortunately i gots an 01 a4 and i have the module that masters can't fix... and i can't get my car to pass inspection with the brake light.... and i can't put the title under my name from the previous owner without it.... fml..
Wait you just bought this car? Man someone pulled a once over on your butt.

Quick Reply: can't put fuel in my tank?!