B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car heat is aciting weird!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Car heat is aciting weird!!!

Ok so my when im driving my car never heats up, but i come to a stop at the light then it heats up, but i keep driving it cools back down. also the oil pressure is low too. any solutions? i need some DIY solutions

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Looks like a thermostat that i locked on open and oil presure to low is the pump or u have sludge in your engine

Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear

First off, what year is it? What model? 1.8 , 2.8 etc..

So, does your CAR not heat up? gauge doesn't warm up? Or does the HEAT not work?

If your car cools down while driving, but warms up while standing still, it's probably the thermostat that's stuck or sticking....if you're going to replace that, you might as well do the timing belt and waterpump as well, comes as a kit, since in a 2.8 the thermostat is BEHIND the WATERPUMP and Timing belt.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

I noticed when I flushed my system and had plain water in it. the temerature would rise above 90 when the car stands still then cool down when driving.

First try this.

turn on the heater fan to minimum
:Press and hold the circulation button on your console then press the up arrow.

:you will see a code "1c", press the temperature + - to get to code 51c.

then press the circulation button again. You will see a digital value that displays your true coolant temperature. Keep an eye on it this way.

-Change your thermostat and your coolant (g12 or VW TTL specification coolant).

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

I noticed when I flushed my system and had plain water in it. the temerature would rise above 90 when the car stands still then cool down when driving.

First try this.

turn on the heater fan to minimum
:Press and hold the circulation button on your console then press the up arrow.

:you will see a code "1c", press the temperature + - to get to code 51c.

then press the circulation button again. You will see a digital value that displays your true coolant temperature. Keep an eye on it this way.

-Change your thermostat and your coolant (g12 or VW TTL specification coolant).

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Yup driving around cools the heat and stopping warms it - classic thermostat failure. Change it (and the timing system while you're in there as suggested above).

Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

oh car heats up alright but only when im stopped, then it cools down fast as i drive, its a 99 1.8t awd tip, the oil pressure thing i did the oil sludge thing taken care off, the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, oil O ring all been replaced. so the thermostat was already replaced along with everthing else.

Last edited by netoLopez; 02-03-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Even so, your car is behaving exactly the way it should with a bad t-stat. It's possible for them to be bad out of the box.

You're seeing it warm up when you stop and cool when you drive. With a failed t-stat the coolant just flows right through the engine and never stays in the block long enough to absorb heat. When you're sitting still there is no air flowing through the radiator and the coolant holds enough heat to warm the cabin. Once you start moving the slipstream air flowing through the radiator saps all the heat from the coolant and the climate air cools.

I don't see what else it would be - either a failed thermostat or one installed improperly (ie the bleeder ball not at the 12 o'clock position).

Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

that thermostat is a pian to get to. specially since its been snowing here.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Yeah but repairs are usually not convenient. Gotta suck it up and cope or put on a few layers and get to it.

Quick Reply: Car heat is aciting weird!!!