B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Control Arm kit install in Orlando, FL

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Control Arm kit install in Orlando, FL

First post! I've been a member for a while but have been mainly just been reading.

Anyone in the area looking to make some extra cash? I need to have my FCP control arm kit installed, as my lowers are making tons of noise, and my uppers aren't in the best shape either.

I can't afford a shop labor quote, which is usually well into the ~$600 range. If anyone is willing to do this, I have no problem coming to you and paying for the work, maybe bring some beers too. I don't have any tools and I live in a strict apartment complex so I can't exactly tackle this myself, nor am I that capable of it.

I wouldn't mind lending a hand either so long as you don't mind me probably asking a ton of questions. Just looking to get the kit installed at an affordable price by someone who is comfortable in doing so.

I've been around the VW scene for quite some time so I am familiar with a bit, I just don't have much hands on experience.. especially with suspension.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome! You may have more luck finding a local member to help in the regional forums.

If I were you, I would take this opportunity to save some cash and do the installation yourself. There aren't really any specialty tools required to work on the suspension of these cars. With the possible exception the the upper pinch bolts, this job should be reasonably painless. Make use of the numerous DIY threads and start wrenching. While many of us are not local, you'll find many members willing to lend a digital hand.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response, I will try the Regional forums as well.

I really want to be able to do this myself.. I've looked through the 4-step DIY and while at the end of the day I don't doubt that it's something I would be capable of, It just seems like much more trouble than it's worth right now seeing as I have to find a place to do it and buy the tools and a jack/stands.. I'm really ill-prepared at the moment and money definitely is an issue.

Maybe if my complex wasn't so gung-ho about touching a car I would reconsider it.. But I get hassled by the maintenance team just for popping my hood.. it's pretty annoying and not to mention, inconvenient.