B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant Temperature increases after turned off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MiamiA4guy
Well my oil temp stay's at 220 for like ever it does not move from there. It just that littil problem i have with the coolant it just scares the **** out of me when i see that gauge one full quarter to the right after turn on my car.
yeah they all do it somtimes when i shut off my car and turn it back on the car is over heat like mother-F but once it runs for a minute its fine

Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM

Just giving this thread a bump for more information before I take it to the mechanic. There has to be something wrong, and something fairly common if this many people seem to have the same problem.

thanks.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Actual WIZARD

I really dont know.. EVERYONES a4 does this, mine too. Although now that my AC is broken, ive noticed it barely passes the middle line after shutdown no matter how hard I get into it.
Food for thought

Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
I really dont know.. EVERYONES a4 does this, mine too. Although now that my AC is broken, ive noticed it barely passes the middle line after shutdown no matter how hard I get into it.
Food for thought
So your ac compressor took a crap and now it doesn't really do it anymore? Weird. I would like to know how many people here bought their b5 brand new and remember if this problem existed from the factory.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Actual WIZARD

mine was a 1 owner, so ill see if she can tell me, I called the dealer, and they've never heard of the issue, and asked me to bring it in (for a $125 diag fee). Ill call the head service tech tomorrow. Him and me are cool (once he let me walk around the shop and salvage the clips for my belly pan I was missing) so ill let you guys know

Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Administrator

It's not a problem - 99A4NOW is exactly right. Coolant stops in the engine and absorbs more heat. You restart the car and the excess heat in the coolant is seen at the CTS and shows on the gauge. It goes away because the coolant circulates and cools. Don't sweat it.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Be sure to "burp" it anytime after draining the coolant. Air can get trapped at the thermostat, and cause over heating. You can search other threads for details. If I recall correctly, you just jack up the front and run it with the cap off.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Yup it's normal I went to the collection and talked to some of the mechanic's about the problem and they told me that it's normal and not to worry about it if the temp goes back to normal they said it's fine. They said to avoid that problem to leave the car on for like 50 to 60 seconds before turning it off and that it should not happen

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
It's not a problem - 99A4NOW is exactly right. Coolant stops in the engine and absorbs more heat. You restart the car and the excess heat in the coolant is seen at the CTS and shows on the gauge. It goes away because the coolant circulates and cools. Don't sweat it.
What I don't get is why other cars don't do this. Is the CTS on these cars extra sensitive or something?

Originally Posted by MiamiA4guy
Yup it's normal I went to the collection and talked to some of the mechanic's about the problem and they told me that it's normal and not to worry about it if the temp goes back to normal they said it's fine. They said to avoid that problem to leave the car on for like 50 to 60 seconds before turning it off and that it should not happen
Tried that before already. No change. Another weird thing I noticed is that when I had the blauparts tb kit installed, the needle sits slightly over the middle now, pointing to the right edge of the line when warmed up. Does their thermostat run a little hotter than the factory one maybe??

Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Actual WIZARD

Originally Posted by A4 2000
What I don't get is why other cars don't do this. Is the CTS on these cars extra sensitive or something?
Thats my thing. I don't see why the only other car ive ever seen this happen to was my dads 351 small block maverick. And it still doesn't explain why I can't reproduce it now that my compressor crapped out.

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature increases after turned off