B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coolant Warning light blinking; Temp gauge says "Cold"

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant Warning light blinking; Temp gauge says "Cold"

Hey gang,

I finally finished buttoning up my son's 1998 Audi 2.8 Quattro following a full replacement suite consisting of Cam Chain Tensioner seals, Timing Belt (with Water Pump and Tensioner), and all new plumbing for the breather system (finding the parts for this turkey is what caused the month long delay).

I poured in the G-12/Distilled Water, and only get in about three liters before she'd take no more. I used the heater hose bleed and the front coolant crossover bleed tricks (the rear crossover looks to have been completely stripped out by the previous mechanic), and managed to coax in maybe another liter or so. When I start the car it runs for maybe forty-five seconds and then the red blinking coolant temperature light starts blinking.

It seems there is air in the system somewhere, but I have no idea how to get it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by shipo; 04-07-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

i've heard of water pumps being installed backwards.. haven't done the process myself but may be something to consider?

Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Certified

Make sure you pluged in the coolant level sensor connector under the reservoir.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lornnn
i've heard of water pumps being installed backwards.. haven't done the process myself but may be something to consider?
I suppose on some engines that might be possible, but the good news here is that in the case of the 2.8 V6, it would be physically impossible to install the pump any which way but the correct way.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
Make sure you pluged in the coolant level sensor connector under the reservoir.
Hmmm, good thought. While I know the sensor is plugged in, I was a bit unsure as to the quality of that connection; I'll check it again.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

You get the air out,by opening and closing the Coolant reservoir cap,to release the pressure,until the coolant isn't rising or falling,within the coolant reservoir tank.

You just add coolant,until the level won't,go down or up.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
You get the air out,by opening and closing the Coolant reservoir cap,to release the pressure,until the coolant isn't rising or falling,within the coolant reservoir tank.

You just add coolant,until the level won't,go down or up.
I've tried that and to the best of my knowledge, the coolant system air free except for a small bubble near the heater core bleeder hole. I'm thinking Mr. M5S5 is on the mark with his comments regarding the coolant level sensor; I'll be having a look-see in the next hour or so and will report back.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Okay folks, I checked and rechecked, and the connection to the sensor is sound and the sensor itself looks undamaged and is properly inserted. Unfortunately the blinking coolant warning light is still blinking. Annoying.

I took it for a twenty mile drive and things seem to be fairly well sorted; the coolant temperature gauge rises and pegs right bang in the middle of the gauge, and the oil temperature gauge sayed nice and low (once it started to rise). I'm going to operate under the premis that the wiring to the reservior sensor was somehow compromised during the repair and see where this takes me.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:52 PM
1st Gear
Default New here with a question

Light looking like thermometer on a river - flashing? Can you tell me what that means and if I can drive? Audi S6 2001