B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Crazy engine break?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

never tried cuz soon as I give it gas it's fine. the motor doesn't feel like its going to stall or stutter it just slows way down!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Im thinking a possible fuel/spark issue.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

So next time it happens, try to put the clutch in. Check the brakes sometime too just to see if they wiggle much. That might point you in the right direction. I'd be hesitant to think fuel and spark could cause resistance in the engine. Sure they might cause no forward push, but he's experiencing resistance.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Make sure your ebrake is fully disengaging when you release it. If it's not fully releasing, you could be getting some braking effect from that.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Brakes are free and Jemery I have no ebrake! I ran camera the whole way home from work and couldn't get it to happen, but none the less I have a "normal engine brake" on there and then can show the difference. Could a vacuum issue cause this? (no boost gauge) And I can't really just push in the clutch like asked I mean I'm in high speed traffic and when it happens I bounce from 70+ down to 55 I'm risking getting *** ended as is! I've never had it happen other than highway... It's super annoying that I don't know whats causing it!!! I'm going to try and run vag this week and hopefully pull an invisible code which would help!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear

I'm stumped...freakin weird

Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Ya it's actually got nothing to do with the brake system. Unless you're abs module is acting up. But you would have a severe pull when this happened. I'm still suspecting a fuel/spark issue considering if one of these were to fail while driving in gear you would get the same situation. If you don't think what I'm saying try it at 20mph and you will experience similar results. Jm2c

Old 05-23-2010, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

I have a similar issue with a ''hard'' engine break, but it only seems to happen in 2nd gear and its not as severe as your case.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 AM
4th Gear

We're suggesting you try pushing in the clutch to see if you still "brake" as hard with the engine disengaged from the rest of the car. If it's your engine slowing you down, hitting the clutch will make it not slow you down as quickly.

I'm leaning towards a turbo problem. I can visualize it in my head, but I'm not sure if I can discribe it. If I remember correctly (bear with me, been a few months since I've driven my car) at 75MPH, you're at about 3,600 RPM, which means you're making some boost. If you let off the gas, then your boost decreases. Perhaps you're not reducing your boost enough, causing you to run lean, or even misfire, or maybe you're losing too much boost too quickly, causing you to run too rich and bogging down the engine. So, a shot in the dark tells me something may be wrong with your waste gate, or even your DV not releasing the pressure like it should causing your turbo to act silly?? Just a guess since we're all stumped here. Maybe someone can run with this idea and explain it better...

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by audirpm
Ya it's actually got nothing to do with the brake system. Unless you're abs module is acting up. But you would have a severe pull when this happened. I'm still suspecting a fuel/spark issue considering if one of these were to fail while driving in gear you would get the same situation. If you don't think what I'm saying try it at 20mph and you will experience similar results. Jm2c
I can't get it to happen at 20mph, Only 5gear.
It did this before my seafoam and still now. New plugs.
Originally Posted by bradtyler02
We're suggesting you try pushing in the clutch to see if you still "brake" as hard with the engine disengaged from the rest of the car. If it's your engine slowing you down, hitting the clutch will make it not slow you down as quickly.

I'm leaning towards a turbo problem. I can visualize it in my head, but I'm not sure if I can discribe it. If I remember correctly (bear with me, been a few months since I've driven my car) at 75MPH, you're at about 3,600 RPM, which means you're making some boost. If you let off the gas, then your boost decreases. Perhaps you're not reducing your boost enough, causing you to run lean, or even misfire, or maybe you're losing too much boost too quickly, causing you to run too rich and bogging down the engine. So, a shot in the dark tells me something may be wrong with your waste gate, or even your DV not releasing the pressure like it should causing your turbo to act silly?? Just a guess since we're all stumped here. Maybe someone can run with this idea and explain it better...
My original thought was DV or hoses... Today is Sunday and the highways will be clear I'll try and see if I can get it to do it and clutch in. If nothing else the car is getting an alignment on Wednesday same shop that does all the work I usually can't do so I'll see if they have time if they can take a gander at it.

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 05-23-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Crazy engine break?!