B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

DASH LIGHTS-Brake/ABS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
Personally I've never re-positioned them. I've always just replaced them, seated them right, and its worked. It's either bad, or the cable is nicked. If you've found it, looks like a cigarette lighter plug from a car, the wire for the right rear sensor goes up under the right rear seat and then plugs into a module underneath the rear seat.

They can be hard to get out. I would just get a new one and replace it. Also, once the sensor is fixed, the lights on the dash will go out without VAG with turning the car off and then on, however the code will still be logged.
Well,my ABS light is solid on the dash,not flashing or anything,the ABS isn't lite,either. So my best guess is,the rear wheel speed sensor isn't seated properly. I had both rear,wheel bearings,replaced.

I didn't know before hand but now i know,that i should have told the mechanic,to disconnect the wheel speed sensors,from under my rear seats and pull them out as to keep the sensor,connected to the hub,while pressing out the bearings.

I doubt its damaged,perhaps dirty or simply not positioned properly,not in far enough or in too far. I'll turn it counter clock wise and clock wise,so it screws into place,for maximum contact.

I'm going to drive down to my mechanic,today to get it sorted.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

My Audi has 240k miles and I broke both of my rear sensors when trying to remove them so I could do wheels bearings. If they're the original sensors, they will really be stuck in there and you probably won't get it out without breaking it. So the mechanic could have broken one if he tried to remove it. After I replaced one of mine it said it was bad so I took it out and found metal shavings stuck to the metal end that goes in the hub. After I cleaned it off, it worked fine. Both of mine I just tapped on the end until they were seated as far in as they would go and they worked fine.

Last edited by jeckel20003; 04-08-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jeckel20003
My Audi has 240k miles and I broke both of my rear sensors when trying to remove them so I could do wheels bearings. If they're the original sensors, they will really be stuck in there and you probably won't get it out without breaking it. So the mechanic could have broken one if he tried to remove it. After I replaced one of mine it said it was bad so I took it out and found metal shavings stuck to the metal end that goes in the hub. After I cleaned it off, it worked fine. Both of mine I just tapped on the end until they were seated as far in as they would go and they worked fine.
See my thread,labeled"ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Code" on the main page,for my resolution of my wheel sensor issue.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ou2mame
the abs sensors just stick in there... if they're too close, too far, metal on them, you'll get the abs and brake lights to come on..
Can you please elaborate on this a little, I changed my calipers in the front, and after this I have the flashing ! light and abs lamp lit. What could have caused this ? Have I positioned something incorrectly on the caliper ?

Thanks