B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Deep rumble while cornering, sounds nice...but what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default Deep rumble while cornering, sounds nice...but what is it?

Hey guys,

So I've had this for a long time and I've finally decided to try and figure it out. While I'm cornering (aggressively) the car makes a very nice sounding deep rumble. It sounds like some sort of nice intake or something... I dont really know how else to explain it. Does anybody else have this?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Most typical cause of cornering rumble would be a wheel bearing issue - have you looked into that yet?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nevalite
Hey guys,

So I've had this for a long time and I've finally decided to try and figure it out. While I'm cornering (aggressively) the car makes a very nice sounding deep rumble. It sounds like some sort of nice intake or something... I dont really know how else to explain it. Does anybody else have this?

Thanks
I don't understand why all the posters on this site,don't know that this is the digital age,where you can actually "RECORD SOUND AND VIDEO!!!! I mean DUH!!!

every single phone has a camera and mic built in,so how in hell does someone not think of simply recording a clip or video of the car that is making,said noise?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear

It's definitely not a wheel bearing, it sounds nothing like that. It really sounds like its coming from the intake. I could try to record it on my phone but I dont know how well I would be able to capture it.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
5th Gear

chill out dude. he's trying to save bandwidth and many of us who are experienced know most of the suspension sounds. plus most of the recordings suck anyways unless the sound is really distinctive like a banging or knocking sound.

+1 to what devil said. does it do it while turning in the other direction?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear

It happens while turning in both directions. I don't think it's a wheel bearing, the sound is actually nice... lol.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Check the bearings anyway - they can make a lot of different sounds. Having more than one fail at a time isn't uncommon. One local guy here had all four go bad at the same time.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

How fast are you going when it happens? Do you need the wheel cut all the way to make the sound?

Sometimes at low speeds with the wheel cut ALL the way to one side in my '97 1.8TQ automatic (doing a U-turn or something), I get a very loud deep vibration that seems to shake the car; it sounds like I have a large sub woofer or something playing a very low tone.

I never thought it was out of the ordinary, but every time it happens, my girlfriend asks why my car does it... It makes me wonder if this is similar to what you are experiencing?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

PS Hiwords - about time to update that sig isn't it?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BrianJanice
How fast are you going when it happens? Do you need the wheel cut all the way to make the sound?

Sometimes at low speeds with the wheel cut ALL the way to one side in my '97 1.8TQ automatic (doing a U-turn or something), I get a very loud deep vibration that seems to shake the car; it sounds like I have a large sub woofer or something playing a very low tone.

I never thought it was out of the ordinary, but every time it happens, my girlfriend asks why my car does it... It makes me wonder if this is similar to what you are experiencing?
That happens in my '96, apparently it's from age, but changing some fluids might help. I forget which one though .

Quick Reply: Deep rumble while cornering, sounds nice...but what is it?