B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Devil bolt disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Devil bolt disaster!

I needed to fix my left CV joint boot so I got all the instructions on-line and thought "no problem, sounds easy". When I got to the pinch bolt at the top ball-joints things took a turn for the worse. I broke the bolt in the collar....SH*T!!! Try the bolt head side and same thing happend...I broke the head off leaving the bolt in the collar.I just closed the garage door and went in the house. Next morning I head off to get a new bolt and a carbide drill bit. I get about 3/4 through and the drill bit dulls. I decide to see if the remainder will tap out. I put a bolt in through the hole and begin hitting it. IT'S MOVING! so I hit it a little harder. I hear the bolt hit the floor...YEAH! I test fit the new bolt and It's too long! I look to see the problem... I BROKE CAST IRONCOLLAR where the pinch bolt goes through! WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG!! I now have to replace the entire spindle which means the ABS speed sensor has to come out. You guessed it...I MANGLED it and most of it is still in the old spindle.

So here I am waiting for a $250.00 used spindleand a $150.00 ABS sensorto show up. What should have been a couple of hours, as turned into several days and hundreds of dollars I don't really have for fixing the car.I feel like opening a vein.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Devil bolt disaster!

you're paying 250 for a used spindle? i got my front passenger side one for 100 bux dude, it came with spindle, rotor, abs sensor that was actuallyremovable and a good wheels bearing. you can get an abs sensor from ebay for abut 70-100 shipped. i broke my spindle while doing my control arms. just hope your spindle comes like mine and you just have to bolt everything on instead of removing wheel bearing and crap. your control arms are out of the spindle though right? goddam audi and their stupid abs sensor design. i felt the same as you when it happened lol but don't worry it'll turn out fine man. wanting to open a vein is the joy of wrenching hehe

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
4th Gear

the storys i could tell you about that pinch bolt...

Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear

PB Blaster
Map gas
24 oz framing hammer
10 lb sledge hammer
big compressor and air hammer

Blind adventuresare more fun than stories, Laser Viking.